Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

The official home for comments and discussion on This Old Neon features, interviews, columns, reviews, and editorials.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon » 31 Jan 2017 19:40

by J.C. Cawley

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has a North American release date of 11 July on Sony PlayStation 4. Square Enix revealed the date as part of their Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Opening Ceremony in Tokyo.

The Zodiac Age is a remaster of 2006’s Final Fantasy XII, a game that received critical acclaim (including perfect scores from Famitsu) but divided audiences with apparent concessions to MMO-like mechanics such as action-oriented battles and randomized treasure chest contents.

The remake features HD graphics, 7.1 surround sound, a newly-recorded soundtrack, trophy support, auto-saves, and shortened load times. Notably, it also includes the speed boost function and the Zodiac job system from the Japan-only “International version” of the original game. There is also a “Trial Mode” that challenges players to one hundred battles of increasing difficulty.

Square Enix has approached this remaster as a user experience or “quality of life“ update. Much of the added or enhanced functionality is designed to give players greater freedom in how they enjoy the game.

Read more at This Old Neon.

Kong Wen
Editor-in-Chief

Re: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Post by Kong Wen » 01 Feb 2017 14:05

A Square Enix representative wrote back and confirmed that the original open licence board is not available in the game. Players have to choose one of the 12 included Zodiac Job System boards per character.

I reacted to this in the chat, but it's worth repeating here:

The Zodiac Job System is great. I like systems that challenge you to play in a certain way. My only issue is that it takes away player choice. This is the same complaint I make in a game like Mario Kart when they let you make custom matches with certain item settings but not actually toggle individual items. Just let the player choose in an options menu. You have both systems coded. Put ’em in and let us have fun.
Over men and horses, hoops and garters, lastly through a hogshead of real fire.
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!

Kong Wen
Editor-in-Chief

Post by Kong Wen » 10 Mar 2017 20:50

There's a Square-Enix Store-exclusive Collector's Edition that costs $200 USD and comes with a bunch of mini busts of the Judges.

There's also a normal-person Limited Edition that just comes with a steelbook and a downloadable soundtrack.

Kong Wen
Editor-in-Chief

Post by Kong Wen » 17 Jul 2017 20:12

This is out now and it's making my dreams come true. It has aged really, really well. Everything looks quite nice. The music (both the original soundtrack and the orchestrated remaster) is great. The only thing that's somewhat jarring is that the audio mix on the voice tracks seems a little up-front. This is mitigated by the fact that the voice acting is excellent overall, but you do notice.

Gameplaywise, I'll have to say more later, as I'm still cruising through it. It's easier than the original, but this has led to a kind of artificial difficulty whereby I cruised through a good chunk of the game underlevelled (severely underlevelled) and then ran up against a wall. So I can to spend some time getting back up to pace, unlocking some licences, acquiring some gear, and setting up gambits. Not too bad.

<3