Review: Cave Story+

The official home for comments and discussion on This Old Neon features, interviews, columns, reviews, and editorials.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Review: Cave Story+

Post by This Old Neon » 02 Aug 2017 19:02

Cave Story+
by Wendel Shoemaker and J.C. Cawley

"This Old Neon strives to publish reviews with at least two opposing voices: one largely positive or sympathetic, and the other more critical and demanding" (Review Policy). Both reviewers provide honest evaluations of the game; thus, a sympathetic review may not always be fully positive, and a critical one need not be completely negative. There will be intersections, overlaps, agreements, and divergences. It is the readers' prerogative to navigate these as they see fit. - JC

Cave Story launched for free on PC in 2004 and has appeared on every Nintendo console and handheld since Nicalis started working with developer Pixel in 2010. Now that Cave Story+ has made its home on Nintendo Switch, it’s time to take another look. You’ll jump and shoot your way through multiple levels, acquire new weapons and power-ups, and meet several zany characters along the way—all the staples you would hope for in a good 2D adventure. - "A Solid 2D Adventure" - Wendel

Cave Story is a well-loved classic that scarcely needs an introduction, much less a review. But Nicalis’s comprehensive latest iteration warrants renewed attention, both as an argument for the merits of active, ongoing maintenance of a legacy, and (more importantly) as a proof of concept for the Nintendo Switch. - "An Almost Definitive Story" - J.C.

Read more at This Old Neon.

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Review: Cave Story+

Post by Kreegs » 03 Aug 2017 21:53

Well done gentlemen. This is a game that I still havent played. Once Splatoon dies down and I beat Shovel Knight, I will pick it up. Im curious as the controller of choice for each of you. Were there any that you tried that just were not usable for a tight platformer? Did you play more in docked or portable mode?
I intend to live forever, or die trying

Kong Wen
Editor-in-Chief

Post by Kong Wen » 05 Aug 2017 00:26

Kreegs wrote:Well done gentlemen. This is a game that I still havent played. Once Splatoon dies down and I beat Shovel Knight, I will pick it up. Im curious as the controller of choice for each of you. Were there any that you tried that just were not usable for a tight platformer? Did you play more in docked or portable mode?
I played in docked mode and in handheld mode, but probably spent the most time in docked mode on the big screen. I played a bit with the JoyCons, but they're not really great controllers in general. Not a fan of the "d-pad" on them, and everything is spaced out weird. I might have liked them better if the game allowed button remapping. So I spent more time playing with the Pro Controller, which was more comfortable. The loose/imprecise d-pad wasn't a huge problem, except for a couple of minor incidents when trying to aim and shoot at the same time, but it didn't really get in the way of platforming per se.

(I'll also add that I don't consider Cave Story to be a precision/tight platformer at all, at least until one stage near the end of the game. Just a general-purpose action-platformer.)
Over men and horses, hoops and garters, lastly through a hogshead of real fire.
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs » 05 Aug 2017 00:39

Is this I game that I can play that is more relaxed? Like not super hard? I like those one that you can just play through more relaxed.
I intend to live forever, or die trying

Kong Wen
Editor-in-Chief

Post by Kong Wen » 05 Aug 2017 01:44

Kreegs wrote:Is this I game that I can play that is more relaxed? Like not super hard? I like those one that you can just play through more relaxed.
Most parts are pretty easy, but some parts are pretty hard. I'd put the difficulty on par with some Mega Man games. It's not insane like Super Meat Boy, but it's not a walk in the park. The only real difficulty is more like frustration at getting to a hard part and then having to try again, going through a bunch of easier fluff before you're back to the hard part again.
Over men and horses, hoops and garters, lastly through a hogshead of real fire.
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!

The Shoemaker
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker » 21 Aug 2017 15:57

Few weeks late here but...

I believe I played it 100% handheld, maybe docked it once. I just used the stick to control as I find it works pretty good. It might be because they are smaller than normal but they've worked well for every 2D game I've played on Switch.

I used the joy con d pad here and there, but didn't use it much just because it's set below the left stick, not as natural.

The difficulty is up there, but I found i could play the game pretty casually, picking it up here and there. It will have its moments, but it's not soul crushing hard.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons