Forum Testing & Suggestions

Includes Forum Rules, major announcements, and important community votes. Post bug reports, feedback, and suggestions.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Forum Testing & Suggestions

Post by This Old Neon »

Since we're still in the process of rolling out this forum and tweaking features to make sure they meet our needs, it'll be a good idea to have a central place where you can post feedback.

If you find anything that's broken, not working the way you thought it should, or just weird looking, post here.

If you have suggestions for any new features or features you thought we'd have but we don't yet, post them here.

This is not a guarantee that we'll be able to make all of the updates you request, but it will at least be a good way to keep track of them and to let you know what's coming and what's not.

Thanks!

Here is a list of things we're already looking into:
  • Install a heart <3 smilie Done. <3
  • Install a
    Spoiler
    BBCode tag
  • Add more custom profile fields (other gaming IDs, other/interests/general text field?)
  • Install a mod to allow public polling
  • Try to reduce whitespace in the chat
  • Test attachments - with a display mod
  • Investigate Tapatalk?
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Forum Testing & Suggestions

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Don't know f it would be wise to reintroduce it on this forum, but VCf had a youtube tag, like:

Just a link to youtube would do fine normally, but I could imagine it being used for embedding game trailers/teasers...

Tapatalk plugin could be added to this forum.
see: Tapatalk for phpBB
Don't think the chat will work with tapatalk, but the forum will.
Grt. Merlin

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

That neato double quote button on VC-F was nice.

Also make me purple in chat :lol:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:That neato double quote button on VC-F was nice.
You can still do that here, by quoting someone, and then pressing the quote button again on one of the posts in Topic Review below.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Also make me purple in chat :lol:
Kong Wen wrote:
You can still do that here, by quoting someone, and then pressing the quote button again on one of the posts in Topic Review below.
Ah sweet awesome.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

I wonder if there's any effort/consideration of adding a news feed or whatever similar to R.O.B. at the previous forum. Just wondering because the forum seems a bit empty and I'd like to see my avatar appear more.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:I wonder if there's any effort/consideration of adding a news feed or whatever similar to R.O.B. at the previous forum. Just wondering because the forum seems a bit empty and I'd like to see my avatar appear more.
I have mixed feelings about R.O.B. Before the bots got really bad, we were looking at ways to cut down the database size, and something like 95% or more of those feed posts just drifted to the bottom of the forum with no replies. It was kind of a spammy mess.

That said, if it were possible to really carefully customize the feed, it might be possible to hone down the quality of the news posted here.

Although, if we're putting that much effort into it, we might as well just have actual human members post news stories they find here as articles in new threads instead of just as links dumped into the chat. Once the main site is up and running, it will take care of some of that.

Also, bear in mind that the forum is looking empty because it's less than a day old. :)
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Kong Wen wrote:I have mixed feelings about R.O.B. Before the bots got really bad, we were looking at ways to cut down the database size, and something like 95% or more of those feed posts just drifted to the bottom of the forum with no replies. It was kind of a spammy mess.

That said, if it were possible to really carefully customize the feed, it might be possible to hone down the quality of the news posted here.

Although, if we're putting that much effort into it, we might as well just have actual human members post news stories they find here as articles in new threads instead of just as links dumped into the chat. Once the main site is up and running, it will take care of some of that.
Well if one were to have some kind of automated news feature it would be a good idea to regularly have threads deleted past a few pages or so. But I'll keep in mind your suggestion of posting news instead.
Kong Wen wrote:Also, bear in mind that the forum is looking empty because it's less than a day old. :)
I'm impatient.
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 18 Jun 2014 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I have mixed feelings about R.O.B. Before the bots got really bad, we were looking at ways to cut down the database size, and something like 95% or more of those feed posts just drifted to the bottom of the forum with no replies. It was kind of a spammy mess.

Well if one were to have some kind of automated news feature it would be a good idea to regularly have threads deleted past a few pages or so. But I'll keep in mind your suggestion of post news instead.
Yes, for sure. Now that we actually have some active administration, we're actually able to control that stuff! I'll do a little bit of research on news feed bots and see what kind of options are out there.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I feel like a lot of R.O.B's usefulness came from the fact that we were using a largely dead forum. I would hope to see more threads started by the membership related to game news that might interest them. A post by a member at least guarantees one interested party!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.