Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Claytone »

Jordan wrote: 21 Nov 2017 01:49 Capcom is the odd man out as they continue to seem ambivalent about the platform.
Capcom is broke. Many of their recent releases on other platforms have been subsidized by Sony/Microsoft (see: Street Fighter, Dead Rising). Nintendo isn't seem keen to reach out for a similar deal, I guess. Ace Attorney was confirmed to be headed to Switch, though, so that's one title.
On a personal level, I've actually never docked the Switch. I play it entirely in portable mode and use it entirely as a portable system. That said, I've played it quite a bit when I don't have the option to play on PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... than-on-tv

It seems that I'm not the only person in this category. The Switch owes much of its success to its portability. Hopefully Nintendo understands that.
This is really interesting to me. I play Switch basically exclusively at home and docked. I have little interest in its portability (although I got good use out of it during my cross-country trip). That's not to say I don't find utility in its portability (a quick Picross before bed is much better played in handheld mode), but in most situations I want to play it on the big screen if it's an option. I will say I think it's impressive that the Switch has done a pretty good job of serving both preferences without too much compromise. It's a good device.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I hope the third party support continues. Hearing that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming to Switch was a really great surprise. And playing Skyrim on the switch now feels really good.

If things continue this way we might actually have a Nintendo console with competent third party support to fill in the gaps between first party releases. Will be interesting to see how titles like DOOM, Skyrim and LA Noire do, especially considering they are more expensive than their ps4/Xbox counter parts.

2018 is a very important year for Switch, so hopefully it's as well planned as 2017 was.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 21 Nov 2017 23:08 I hope the third party support continues. Hearing that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming to Switch was a really great surprise. And playing Skyrim on the switch now feels really good.

If things continue this way we might actually have a Nintendo console with competent third party support to fill in the gaps between first party releases. Will be interesting to see how titles like DOOM, Skyrim and LA Noire do, especially considering they are more expensive than their ps4/Xbox counter parts.
It's hard to count Skyrim and LA Noire since they're ports of ancient games—the exact kind of game the Switch should be lapping up to get caught up to the other consoles. DOOM's an important one as a large new release, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 as well.

You'd want the Switch not only to get to a place where there's competent third-party support to fill in the gaps between first-party releases... but to move beyond that to a point where there are competent first-party releases to fill in the gaps between third-party games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

So Rocket League outsold Super Mario Odyssey on the Nintendo eshop this month, taking first place in terms of digital sales on the Switch. That is pretty amazing. In fact, the top 5 in terms of eshop sales were mostly third party games including the likes of Stardew Valley, Skyrim and Doom.

I've been following a bunch of Switch channels on youtube (PlayerEssence, SwitchForce, GameXplain) and have picked up a few rumors and talking points. Square-Enix supposedly announced that they like the Switch for "mid range" games. There have been some rumors that they might port FFXII to the system, which would likely sell really well. I also would not be surprised to see if they brought back the FFTA series. I was a big fan of those portable tactics games so I could see them utilizing the Switch for that. I get the feeling that Project Octopath will sell really well for them.

We also know that Bamco is throwing a bunch of games on Switch including supposedly three exclusive games. My guess is new Digimon games and new Tales games.

We know that SMT V is coming to the Switch. If that sells well, I strongly get the feeling that we will see a massive number of Persona and spinoff ports. Finally, Capcom is bringing a new mainline Ace Attorney game to the Switch starring Phoenix Wright (guess we won't be seeing the Meiji ace attorneys) in addition to porting most of the rest of the series.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

If anything, I hope switch is the console to bring back mid ranged games. Or at least bring those games back to console, as I suppose they were mostly being covered on 3DS and Vita.

The industry has really moved towards AAA games in the last two generations. Smaller titles are a great way to take risks or try and a different genre, like with Mario and Rabbids.

It will be interesting to see how all of these third party titles do after the holiday season. If they do well, I think we'll only hear of more support. Hopefully more recent and new titles like Kong is suggesting, that's really the goal.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Looks like the switch was the best selling item during black Friday. Considering it wasn't discounted at all, that's crazy. Maybe even crazier is that I didn't see it out of stock, which means Nintendo made a shit ton of them in time for black Friday.

https://landing.adobe.com/en/na/solutio ... 7335877606

The top 5 selling items are shown near the bottom of the page.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

accidentally posted this in the mario odyssey thread instead of the switch thread. my bad on that:

Something a bit unrelated, but an article was published about valkyria chronicles 4 for anybody interested in that game on the Switch (I'm a fan of the series):

http://nintendoeverything.com/valkyria- ... stem-more/
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote: 27 Nov 2017 09:12 accidentally posted this in the mario odyssey thread instead of the switch thread. my bad on that:

Something a bit unrelated, but an article was published about valkyria chronicles 4 for anybody interested in that game on the Switch (I'm a fan of the series):

http://nintendoeverything.com/valkyria- ... stem-more/
I'll definitely be snagging that on PS4. I really wish they would do HD remasters of VC2 & 3 to be able to play them on console (and to be able to play 3 at all).

Let's take Valkyria Chronicles discussion up in the thread we used to use for the VC1 remaster. I'll move it from the Sony section to Misc. Gaming.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

A lot of the doubts that I've had about this system are being dispelled. Let's start from the top:

-The 3DS will cannibalize it: This was my biggest concern months ago. However, with rumors of Pokemon and Fire Emblem and basically everything else coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2018, it seems that the 3DS is slowly being phased out. However, the 3DS is not quite dead yet as a bunch of 3rd party rpgs/remakes (Strange Journey, DQXI, Radiant Historia) are coming out for the system in 2018. With the system mostly being reduced to remakes, I'm not sure it's going to have legs past 2018. Developers who have put their games on both 3DS and Switch have noticed declining sales on the 3DS and unexpectedly strong sales on the Switch. The jump in technology is just too great for the 3DS to survive much longer.

-It won't get 3rd party support: This is always a concern with Nintendo systems. However, by sheer virtue of this console's selling power and the open niche for third party developers on its digital market, the Switch may actually end up getting the best 3rd party support Nintendo has ever had. The Switch might end up having better third party support than even the NES and SNES. We're hearing rumors of games like Paladins heading to Nintendo Switch now, along with 3rd party exclusives from big companies like Bandai Namco. There weren't too many third party offerings in this year relatively speaking, but the success of early adopters have persuaded many companies to jump on board. Third party games are absolutely killing it on the system. Digitally they are even outperforming many of Nintendo's first party offerings: Rocket League was the top digital seller on the eshop last week. Even ports of relatively older games like Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2 and Skyrim have done well. The success of those older games is likely to prompt developers testing the waters to release their more recent games on the platform. In some ways, that's already happened since the unreleased Valkyria Chronicles 4 for instance was confirmed to be coming to the system.

-The hardware was a disaster: I haven't had any hardware problems with the system. It seems like nintendo fixed a lot of the issues that plagued the switch's launch (joycon damage, etc.).

-Games would not run well while portable: Obviously games do suffer a little bit in portable mode, but they still seem perfectly playable to me. It seems like some even run nearly perfectly. Developers have been able to utilize the portable aspects of the system well. The Switch is delivering on its promise of being a hybrid console/portable, with the majority of Switch players alternating between the two.

-We'll get the usual Nintendo droughts: It might happen eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. Nintendo seems to be spacing out their releases well and third parties seem to be covering up a lot of gaps. It's actually kind of amazing that Nintendo was able to bring out Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Arms and Splatoon 2 all in the same year. Some people have wondered whether Nintendo can keep up the momentum in 2018. IMO, they can. If they can get out Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Kirby, Yoshi, a couple of online games to support their upcoming online system and a new IP or two, they are going to clean house. I actually think they can do this easily, and maybe even exceed expectations. Many of these games may come out near the end of the year, but that's just fine. They'll be available right around the holidays when sales will be insane. This year the Switch dominated Black Friday. It's very possible that it will dominate Black Friday next year too if Nintendo plays its cards right.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: 29 Nov 2017 12:05 A lot of the doubts that I've had about this system are being dispelled. Let's start from the top:

-The 3DS will cannibalize it: This was my biggest concern months ago. However, with rumors of Pokemon and Fire Emblem and basically everything else coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2018, it seems that the 3DS is slowly being phased out. However, the 3DS is not quite dead yet as a bunch of 3rd party rpgs/remakes (Strange Journey, DQXI, Radiant Historia) are coming out for the system in 2018. With the system mostly being reduced to remakes, I'm not sure it's going to have legs past 2018. Developers who have put their games on both 3DS and Switch have noticed declining sales on the 3DS and unexpectedly strong sales on the Switch. The jump in technology is just too great for the 3DS to survive much longer.

-It won't get 3rd party support: This is always a concern with Nintendo systems. However, by sheer virtue of this console's selling power and the open niche for third party developers on its digital market, the Switch may actually end up getting the best 3rd party support Nintendo has ever had. The Switch might end up having better third party support than even the NES and SNES. We're hearing rumors of games like Paladins heading to Nintendo Switch now, along with 3rd party exclusives from big companies like Bandai Namco. There weren't too many third party offerings in this year relatively speaking, but the success of early adopters have persuaded many companies to jump on board. Third party games are absolutely killing it on the system. Digitally they are even outperforming many of Nintendo's first party offerings: Rocket League was the top digital seller on the eshop last week. Even ports of relatively older games like Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2 and Skyrim have done well. The success of those older games is likely to prompt developers testing the waters to release their more recent games on the platform. In some ways, that's already happened since the unreleased Valkyria Chronicles 4 for instance was confirmed to be coming to the system.

-The hardware was a disaster: I haven't had any hardware problems with the system. It seems like nintendo fixed a lot of the issues that plagued the switch's launch (joycon damage, etc.).

-Games would not run well while portable: Obviously games do suffer a little bit in portable mode, but they still seem perfectly playable to me. It seems like some even run nearly perfectly. Developers have been able to utilize the portable aspects of the system well. The Switch is delivering on its promise of being a hybrid console/portable, with the majority of Switch players alternating between the two.

-We'll get the usual Nintendo droughts: It might happen eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. Nintendo seems to be spacing out their releases well and third parties seem to be covering up a lot of gaps. It's actually kind of amazing that Nintendo was able to bring out Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Arms and Splatoon 2 all in the same year. Some people have wondered whether Nintendo can keep up the momentum in 2018. IMO, they can. If they can get out Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Kirby, Yoshi, a couple of online games to support their upcoming online system and a new IP or two, they are going to clean house. I actually think they can do this easily, and maybe even exceed expectations. Many of these games may come out near the end of the year, but that's just fine. They'll be available right around the holidays when sales will be insane. This year the Switch dominated Black Friday. It's very possible that it will dominate Black Friday next year too if Nintendo plays its cards right.
I think I had some of those doubts as well. My biggest doubt came from the price though. I did not think it would take off being priced the same as a base PS4 without any games being bundled in, never mind the expensive controllers and other accessories. I also did not think it would sell as well as it did during black Friday considering it didn't have a price drop at all. But people are stilling buying them like crazy so I guess they're doing something right.