Pokémon GO

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pokémon GO

Post by The Shoemaker »

If they really want to ignite people again, they need a big update. Like in the spring like you said, add a new generation, trading and battling. A big update like that would make the game feel new again and get people playing.

The Halloween update helped actually, during that time period the game became the top grossing app again. Monthly events would be a smart thing to do.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:If they really want to ignite people again, they need a big update. Like in the spring like you said, add a new generation, trading and battling. A big update like that would make the game feel new again and get people playing.

The Halloween update helped actually, during that time period the game became the top grossing app again. Monthly events would be a smart thing to do.
Grossing is one thing, but what makes the game a phenomenon is seeing people out and about playing, encountering people on walks, seeing crowds at popular poker stops, etc. I didn't see any of that, and it's unlikely we will see any of that until there's a big update and the weather improves. What'll really cement this game is whether spring rolls around and you start to see crowds coming out and playing again, or whether it stays like it is now. If it stays like it is now, then that's fine, but it means they won't regain their fad status.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

They've added ~80 new pokes from Gen 2, as well as a few little minor mechanical things (enemy dodge animations, a couple new berry types, etc.), and some more microtransactions!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Caught a few new ones today. Still have a long way to go to get my Pokédex filled .. 66 so far.
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Started playing a little bit again, fun to catch new Pokemon for once! I think I have around 100 in the Dex. I haven't really played since November. If they just let me tally my steps throughout the day and apply them to eggs and walking bonuses I would pop in a lot more.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Started playing a little bit again, fun to catch new Pokemon for once! I think I have around 100 in the Dex. I haven't really played since November. If they just let me tally my steps throughout the day and apply them to eggs and walking bonuses I would pop in a lot more.
Yeah, expecting you to have the app open is pretty crazy. Also basing distance on distance instead of steps is pretty crazy, since I could rack up a lot of steps around the office throughout the day, but that's all within a couple hundred square metres.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Started playing a little bit again, fun to catch new Pokemon for once! I think I have around 100 in the Dex. I haven't really played since November. If they just let me tally my steps throughout the day and apply them to eggs and walking bonuses I would pop in a lot more.
Yeah, expecting you to have the app open is pretty crazy. Also basing distance on distance instead of steps is pretty crazy, since I could rack up a lot of steps around the office throughout the day, but that's all within a couple hundred square metres.
Seems like they just don't want people to shake their phones for steps, or to just make sure they actually go outside for a walk. It works against the game because that also means I'm not rewarded for using the treadmill, nor am I rewarded for biking as that goes too fast. I understand they don't want you biking and looking for Pokemon ect, but if I could just add my steps in at the end of the day, that scenario would be avoided as the game app wouldn't be open.

I really think they want to encourage one way to play - going for walks. Which is honestly an odd choice to limit your game so much when I'm sure that's how most people would play anyways even if they had the option of shaking their phones.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I actually downloaded this again. I remembered enjoying catching Pokemon last summer while going about my regular activities. There's a lot of Pokemon I haven't caught with gen 2 out now, and they were just doing this event where ice and fire Pokemon were more common so I finally found a charmander. Also almost ready to evolve a Vulpix and a Ponyta.

They also updated gym battles to work different and are going to start rais battles, which appear to require lots of people working together to take down a legendary Pokemon.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I've been very casually spinning a Pokestop each day (there's one at my work) and catching a critter each day, for experience and streak bonuses. The new raid battles could be interesting now that summer is back and it's safe to go outside again. :lol:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pokémon GO 1st anniversary celebrations continue apace. They're launching legendary Pokémon this weekend. You have to beat them in raid battles to capture them, and you're not allowed to leave them to defend gyms.