Yoshi's Woolly World

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Yoshi's Woolly World

Post by The Shoemaker »

Just beat Wolly World today. I really enjoyed it all the way through. Each world offered new inventive ideas. I liked seeing old elements of Yoshi's Island and seeing how they worked completely different in this yarn world. Still have to go back to collect all the secret items. Definitely my favourite Yoshi game.

As for the bosses, I still think they were all well designed. A couple of the mini bosses were repeats, but really, they functioned almost entirely different than the original fights that I can't really consider them repeats. I see them like the ever evolving Boom Boom fights in the Mario series.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I hated epic yarn, so I'm really on the fence on this one. On one hand I've heard good things, but on the other hand I'm not sure if the hype is overplayed or not.

What I really want to know is how the difficulty is in this game. I really disliked how in epic yarn you were pretty much invincible. The game consequently felt much too easy. Does Woolly World have significantly more difficulty than Epic Yarn or is it kinda the same thing?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I hated epic yarn, so I'm really on the fence on this one. On one hand I've heard good things, but on the other hand I'm not sure if the hype is overplayed or not.

What I really want to know is how the difficulty is in this game. I really disliked how in epic yarn you were pretty much invincible. The game consequently felt much too easy. Does Woolly World have significantly more difficulty than Epic Yarn or is it kinda the same thing?
Well you actually have a life bar, so you can die. There's two difficulty modes so they didn't have to make the main game super easy. If you just run through the game it's not very difficult. In the later levels I died a fair amount, but most of the time it was from me trying to gather up all the collectables, which are hidden quite well, and are fun to find. I'd say it's about as difficult as Yoshi's Island. I did find the game to be inventive with its level design which is where I got most of my enjoyment. The few puzzle/mazes they put in the game are clever.

It plays a lot different from Epic Yarn as well. It truly is a Yoshi game with a yarn twist.

If you're looking for a challenging platformer I would start with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. If you're looking to play an easier platformer with a friend who's not as good at gaming, this is a great option.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

While I personally preferred Epic Yarn, I think it's best to think of it this way:

Epic Yarn is a yarn game retooled as Kirby.
Woolly World is a Yoshi game skinned as yarn.

Woolly World probably is the best post-SNES Yoshi game, when all is said and done, though. Every time I see something new in it, I grin like an idiot.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

I put this at number 4 of my. Wii U games of 2015. Definitely my favourite Yoshi game by far.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I started playing Yoshi's Woolly World last night. I haven't opened my little yarn amoeba yet though. I don't think I'll bother. I don't think they really do anything other than look cute.

First impressions are good. Intuitive, snappy controls, visuals that pop. The game is perfect for the wiiPad screen. My only complaint is all the weird and annoying grunts and groans Yoshi makes with virtually every action.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I started playing Yoshi's Woolly World last night. I haven't opened my little yarn amoeba yet though. I don't think I'll bother. I don't think they really do anything other than look cute.

First impressions are good. Intuitive, snappy controls, visuals that pop. The game is perfect for the wiiPad screen. My only complaint is all the weird and annoying grunts and groans Yoshi makes with virtually every action.
How could you play a Yoshi game without those grunts!

I thought the game was great, especially with two players. The level design gets interesting as the game goes forward. Me and my niece still play it here and there.

The Yarn Yoshi Amiibo adds a second Yoshi to play with, so it's kind of like playing two player mode with one person. The benefit of this is always having an extra egg (as you can eat the Yoshi) so you'll never be in a scenario where you can't reach a collectable because you ran out of eggs or messed up a jump (you can spit them to high places).