Sonic Mania

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Sonic Mania

Post by The Shoemaker »

Need more discussions of this game!

I picked it up on Switch a little after launch. So far I'm enjoying it, just made it past Press Gardens I believe? I was stuck on the airship zone for a while.

I'm liking it, but as I play I realize that Sonic definitely isn't my favorite platforming series. The levels feel a bit messy and directionless at times with all the different paths you can take, that generally don't have a lot of purpose since there's only one collectable to find in each level as far as I can tell. Of course this isn't really a criticism with Sonic Mania in general, but the classic Sonic formula.

Still, the animation is fun and the music is great. I just generally don't replay games much these days so I'm wondering how much content this game will have for me once I beat all the levels.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Sonic Mania

Post by Kreegs »

I am loving this game. I beat it (with only 3 emeralds) with Sonic & Tails. Now I am going through it with just tails and I have another file with just Knuckles.

I understand what you are saying about the classic Conic formula. I really love and respect this game because it stays so true to that formula.

I have found lots to keep me busy, especially trying to beat all the blue sphere levels. When you beat 20 of them you unlock
Spoiler
Mean Bean Machine and can play it from the extras menu.
You can also unlock other things from blue sphere, and once you beat a stage, its stays that way, even in different save files. I like this because unlike the emeralds, you can keep working at the blue sphere unlockables and dont have to start over every playthrough.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I really suck at the blue sphere stages, like really suck haha. Is the goal to just to get all of them?

Also, is there a way to reliably do the move where tails holds Sonic up for a bit floating in the air?
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote: 25 Aug 2017 16:49 I really suck at the blue sphere stages, like really suck haha. Is the goal to just to get all of them?

Also, is there a way to reliably do the move where tails holds Sonic up for a bit floating in the air?
In Blue Sphere, if the blues are in squares or rectangular shapes, just go around the perimeter and when you complete the loop it turns all of them into rings.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

I've been slowly playing this game (on Switch). Only beat one Blue Sphere stage so far, and made it up to Hydrocity Zone in my only playthrough (with Sonic and Tails). I'm not that great with the classic Sonic games, but I respect the hell out of what this game is. (This game makes me realize I prefer the Generations era boost gameplay of Sonic the best.) But goddamn, there is so much love poured into this game, it's hard not to like.

I wish I wasn't spoiled of the Chemical Plant Act 2 boss before I got it. Would've been amazing seeing that fully blind.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote: 25 Aug 2017 22:29 I wish I wasn't spoiled of the Chemical Plant Act 2 boss before I got it. Would've been amazing seeing that fully blind.
I literally shouted "NO WAY" out loud when I got to that part :lol:
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I was totally not spoiled for that boss and freaked out when I got to it! I thought it was a cut scene at first!