Bayonetta 1 & 2

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Bayonetta 1 & 2

Post by Kreegs »

I picked up these two games (physical and the digital code for first game). I am completely new to this genre, with the exception of No More Heroes on the Wii, which I loved. I am starting with the second game, because I read that it didn't really matter. Has anyone else picked up this game? I like it so far, but there is a lot of emphasis on the cutscenes and story and not as much action. Assuming this will change! I currently have finished the into and the prologue, which puts me somewhere into chapter 1.

What do you think of this so far? The frame rate has been consistently high for me, and the game looks really great in docked mode! I have used a bunch of amiibo because it says you can scan only 32 a day. Even the cereal box worked.

My question is, can you quit this game midway through a chapter, or do you have to complete an entire chapter before you can save and quit? Only thinking of this because Mrs. K will want to use the Switch to play more Mario.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Bayonetta 1 & 2

Post by The Shoemaker »

You can quit mid chapter, it saves often. You'll also find the action picks up more outside the prologue.

I dabbled in these games before, but this is my first time really playing them. I'm playing 2 now, I believe I'm on chapter 3. Everything is very over the top, it's great.

I like how the amiibo have their own little descriptors about the individual game universes. I think my favorite was for the animal crossing amiibo.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I played the first one when it came out and wasn't the biggest fan. I didn't like the combo-heavy combat mechanics and felt they were weaker than some other similar games on offer at the time. The over the top camp didn't help. Simply not for me.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Froguin
[filthy casual]

Post by Froguin »

Fairly late to the party. I played both games in the set, and I feel 2 would be easier to digest for newcomers since it seems tighter, on a mechanical front, that is. More in the sense that 2 is far more forgiving than its predecessor with damage and combos and the like. Bayonetta (1) is still on my backlog, and I think I got about 9 or so chapters in before I got sick of combatting enemy behavior. That said, I'd recommend 2 in a heartbeat, but it's a package deal with its thematic and narrative elements; while I'll say the game is solid independent of its narrative choice, you're gonna have a bad time if you're not a fan.
I'm here for your gold stars, Kirby.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah I played 2 for the first time on Switch, enjoyed it quite a bit. That game can get tough if you want it to be. I still haven't tried Bayonetta 1, I've only heard that it's a little more difficult to get into compared to 2.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Froguin
[filthy casual]

Post by Froguin »

I remember a games critic saying Bayonetta 1 really shows its age which sums it up well enough. The difficulty gradient made me put it down midway. May try to pick it up again on easy to see if it's more fun, because I do enjoy the combat.
I'm here for your gold stars, Kirby.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Bayonetta 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I adore the series. It's dumb and ludicrous, but I think the action gameplay is an ultra-refined blast to play. Absolutely can't wait for Bayonetta 3. Glad Nintendo, so often out-of-touch, saw something in this series.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 10 Aug 2018 03:45 Bayonetta 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I adore the series. It's dumb and ludicrous, but I think the action gameplay is an ultra-refined blast to play. Absolutely can't wait for Bayonetta 3. Glad Nintendo, so often out-of-touch, saw something in this series.
These games are a lot like Darksiders—questionable story/art direction draped over excellent mechanics. As much as I dislike the Bayo games, it was indeed unusually savvy of Nintendo to latch on.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming