Best Social Game Finals

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Best Social Game Finals

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 17 Jun 2019 17:39
SkyPikachu wrote: 17 Jun 2019 15:52 When I played all you could do was catch pokemon and battle gyms and go to poke stops. I'm aware a lot has change but the original release was very much a single player game. I'm pretty sure they added battling and trading right?

Looking back I worded it wrong I meant to say "the game launched as a single player experience"
They added trading, player-vs-player battles, gym battles (playing against other players AI-controller monsters), raids (team multiplayer vs. huge AI enemies), and friendship levels & perks (send gifts, raid, trade etc. to level up and get rewards). If you're not doing multiplayer stuff, you're playing about 10-20% of the game.
Yeah I thought they added a lot so my example remains that it's funny that it launched with no multiplayer aspects and still won. Shows how important post launch is.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 18 Jun 2019 02:36 Yeah I thought they added a lot so my example remains that it's funny that it launched with no multiplayer aspects and still won. Shows how important post launch is.
The importance of post-launch, but also the importance of the game's context at launch. Even on day one it was one of the best social games in video game history, because it was a game that facilitated being social, just not necessarily inside of the game.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I definitely feel like the best choice won here. In terms of how I chose to interpret what constituted a social game (or more accurately, how I chose to prioritize certain types of social games), I couldn't think of a better choice. It's social on both sides of the screen and was(is) a bonafide global phenomenon - very much a determining factor in a category like this.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

This convinced me to try pogo again and wow have the new updates changed my mind I've been playing a ton of this and met a bunch of people. The qol updates since launch are amazing. If anyone wants to add me DM me and I'll send you my code (don't want my code all over the Internet)