Xbox Game Pass

Microsoft discussion, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Scorpio, Xbox Live Arcade, Achievements & Gamerscore, Games on Demand, and Kinect.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Xbox Game Pass

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 17 May 2018 23:27 It's a bit cynical, but it almost feels like Microsoft is the only one who could do this. Sony is too far ahead to need a tactic like this, and Nintendo has no problems selling their first party games at full price for years on end. Microsoft doesn't have a lot of exclusive offerings and they are lagging this generation, so a value offering like Game Pass really makes sense.
That's not cynical; that's just how competition is supposed to help the industry. MS needs to innovate and add value to get consumers on board.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 May 2018 13:32 That's not cynical; that's just how competition is supposed to help the industry. MS needs to innovate and add value to get consumers on board.
Yep. Cross platform play and back compatibility are great examples as well. As a platform, Xbone is pretty compelling. Shame it still has such a meager lineup of interesting exclusives. Still, I've really enjoyed back compat as a means of cleaning up some of my 360 and original Xbox backlog with the best Xbox controller yet.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I think going into next gen if Microsoft keep supporting game pass/back compatibility and Sony decide not to (including not make ps now offline) then Microsoft will have a great head start on Sony moving forward.

Making a system that can play Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games while also playing the latest Xbox Next Gen games gives you a huge library for the first few years. If Sony does what they did with the PS4 they'll make you rebuy all your games again with remasters/ports.

The other thing is I think Play Anywhere is hurting the Xbox more than helping it. It's a fantastic service however any Microsoft exclusive that comes to Windows 10 can be played by PC Gamers instantly making them not want an Xbox. On top of that if you own a PS4 and are looking for a new system and want to choose between the Xbox or a PC the PC looks very applealing with 80% of the Xbox lineup + all the PC exclusives so they must be losing sales due to that.

The problem is this is the list of Xbox One exclusives that aren't on PC (Includes 360 games)
Azito x Tatsunoko Legends (Hamster) - Import no one has heard of
Fantasia: Music Evolved (Disney Interactive) - Motion Control Music Game
Forza Horizon 2 (Microsoft) - Good arcade racer
Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft) - Good sim racer
Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Microsoft) - 4 great halo games from Xbox/360
Halo 5: Guardians (Microsoft) - Decent shooter
Powerstar Golf (Microsoft) - Arcade Golf Game
Rare Replay (Microsoft) - One of the best games in the exclusive lineups
ScreamRide (Microsoft) - Badly reviewed rollercoaster game
Sunset Overdrive (Microsoft) - Another game possibly worth getting a Xbox One for and honestly probably the only system seller outside of Halo/Forza
That's not very appealing to PS4/PC owners. Something needs to change.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'd be surprised if Xbox backed out of PC support next gen, that's the kind of thing that would go against the good karma they've been building.

I do wonder how much of an upgrade the next gen will be. Would be really interesting if the Xbox One X supported next gen, in the same way this current gen is split between base models and pro models.

I could see Xbox gaining a lot of good will next gen, but I think people are comfortable playing on Sony now. They could almost coast to next gen with their exclusives.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I generally think Microsoft will always have a harder time selling outside of north america which will always hurt them.

Europe PS4 - 31.55 mil / XBO - 9.94 mil (PS4 76% / XBO 24%)
NA PS4 - 26.58 mil / XBO 23.21 mil (PS4 53% / XBO 47%)

Europe PS3 - 34.55 mil / XB360 - 25.87 mil (PS3 57% / XB360 43%)
NA PS3 - 29.42 / XB360 - 49.11 (PS3 37% / XB360 63%)

Europe PS2 - 55.28 mil / Xbox - 7.17 mil (89% PS2 / 11% Xbox)
NA PS2 - 53.65 / Xbox - 15.77 mil (77% PS2 / 23% Xbox)

This is excluding Japans insane 6.67 mil PS4 and 0.09 (90,000) XBO. Where I believe the market is impossible to get into for Microsoft.

Seems like winning over America is the most important audience for them to succeed
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 22 May 2018 03:13 I could see Xbox gaining a lot of good will next gen, but I think people are comfortable playing on Sony now. They could almost coast to next gen with their exclusives.
People were comfortable playing on PS1/PS2 as well, but that didn't stop them from buying Xbox 360s and Wiis when those came out. A new hardware generation is a whole new ballgame... or at least it was back in those days. Hardware is much more iterative these days, and we seem to be moving closer and closer to the "hardware as a service" model.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 22 May 2018 13:32
The Shoemaker wrote: 22 May 2018 03:13 I could see Xbox gaining a lot of good will next gen, but I think people are comfortable playing on Sony now. They could almost coast to next gen with their exclusives.
People were comfortable playing on PS1/PS2 as well, but that didn't stop them from buying Xbox 360s and Wiis when those came out. A new hardware generation is a whole new ballgame... or at least it was back in those days. Hardware is much more iterative these days, and we seem to be moving closer and closer to the "hardware as a service" model.
Are you talking about renting/leasing consoles?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Geez friends, Obsidian's new Outer Worlds is a Game Pass title. Seems like a great opportunity to play a swell game.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 22 Oct 2019 17:43 Geez friends, Obsidian's new Outer Worlds is a Game Pass title. Seems like a great opportunity to play a swell game.
Yeah I've been looking forward to it! Probably wouldn't get the game if it wasn't for Game Pass.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons