Star Wars ROS discussion (may contain spoilers)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Star Wars ROS discussion (may contain spoilers)

Post by Kreegs »

We can discuss Rise of Skywalker. Please use the spoiler tag when necessary.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I am curious what others think.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Star Wars ROS discussion (may contain spoilers)

Post by Kong Wen »

It was alright!

But you could tell it was the "we have to do everything we can to finish this series off" movie. The pacing felt really rote, like "we need this, aha! here's this. OK now we need this. Aha! here's this" like every plot point was a given. Every single character arc was also fiercely underdeveloped (Rey, Poe, Kylo, fucking HUX), which felt extra-worse after the excellent work they did on this front in The Last Jedi. Finally, the big bad mcguffin (and the whole First Order as a whole) felt oddly toothless and perfunctory and unsubtle given how badly they tried to raise the stakes. Just like the previous two entries in this particular trilogy, this felt like it was trying to adopt elements of its respective predecessor (Return of the Jedi) and just not doing them as well. But, it's a franchise tentpole movie in 2019, so I guess that's a given.

Anyway, overall, enjoyable film with some flimsy narrative and structure problems that still provides some entertainmentpleasures.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I had minor eye rolling when
Spoiler
characters “died” only to turn out to be alive less than 4 minutes later. I think this happened at least 3 times.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it! It has a lot of issues, notably the plot structure like Kong mentioned. Real shame this story wasnt the plan from the outset, could have fit some of these details into the first and second movie. Despite that, I thought it was a fun ride
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons