3 Limited Edition 3DS models coming to GameStop

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

3 Limited Edition 3DS models coming to GameStop

Post by Kong Wen »

GameStop recently revealed that they'll be carrying three limited edition 3DS XL models, with pre-orders going live today. There's a Smash Bros. model, a Persona Q model, and an NES model (pictured above). These are going to sell out fast, so if you have a GameStop in your area and you want one of these, move fast.

One thing to consider, that we mentioned in the chat... the New 3DS is coming out next year, with the promise of a library of games that won't work on old hardware. The timing and strategy behind this just keeps seeming messier and messier. I would have been really tempted to upgrade my drab 3DS to that NES XL model if I didn't already know it would just become a vanity system within a few months. Now I'm more inclined to save that money for a more functional new console.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: 3 Limited Edition 3DS models coming to GameStop

Post by Kong Wen »

Here's some more info.

Apparently the Smash one will be released on 3 October, the NES one on 10 October, and the Persona one on 25 November. They're $199 USD each.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Aside from being what I consider a pretty obvious repackaging of existing inventory (likely an attempt to push remaining unshipped units before the N3DS - and hey, fair enough), that NES-stlyed XL is absolutely hideous. What an absolute joke as compared to previous, carefully designed special editions like these:

Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:that NES-stlyed XL is absolutely hideous. What an absolute joke as compared to previous, carefully designed special editions like these:
I agree with you, but I haven't seen any pics of the inside of the 3DS yet. If they somehow managed to surprise us by making the buttons red, and the start/select & control pad buttons black, I'd be more interested.

I have that Famicom micro, and it's one of my favourite systems. Such a great portable portable.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: I have that Famicom micro, and it's one of my favourite systems. Such a great portable portable.
I've long wanted a Micro, but I can't justify the price when I own a GBA, SP, DS, and DS Lite, certainly no shortage of compatible devices.

Also, as I've already chirped about a bit, I'm pretty miffed that the 3DS design I'm by far the most excited about (Smash Bros., and Persona Q ain't bad either) is on a lame duck device. The New 3DS is purported to have interchangeable face plates, though, so maybe they'll put out a Smash version I can slap on there.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:The New 3DS is purported to have interchangeable face plates, though, so maybe they'll put out a Smash version I can slap on there.
That's a good call, actually. Maybe these special editions are a kind of trial run for custom 3DS faces.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:
VictorViper wrote:that NES-stlyed XL is absolutely hideous. What an absolute joke as compared to previous, carefully designed special editions like these:
I agree with you, but I haven't seen any pics of the inside of the 3DS yet. If they somehow managed to surprise us by making the buttons red, and the start/select & control pad buttons black, I'd be more interested.
Yeah, it's not that inspiring either...Image
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I agree with you, but I haven't seen any pics of the inside of the 3DS yet. If they somehow managed to surprise us by making the buttons red, and the start/select & control pad buttons black, I'd be more interested.
Yeah, it's not that inspiring either...
At least it has the black & red buttons! But yeah, that's pretty damn plain.