TOP 32 — Poll 10 of 16

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

10 — Doom (1993, PC)
78%
23 — Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, Genesis)
22%

Total votes: 9

This Old Neon
Administrator

TOP 32 — Poll 10 of 16

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 32!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: TOP 32 — Poll 10 of 16

Post by Sharecrow »

Sonic 2 will lose this one but not lose my vote. Fantastic game and even somehow incorporated coop.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Man, the top 32 really is a wild ride. Just game after game that created or perfected whole genres. DOOM may not have been the first FPS, but it's the definitive one. Sonic 2 is a sequel to a janky running jumping mascot man game. Good one, but not top 16 quality, especially not when it's up against DOOM.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Boy, I love Sonic 2, and I think it's more of a personal favorite of mine than DOOM, but the latter is still the obvious choice here. One of those games that I played comparatively late (not getting around to it until my mid-20s) and wondered why the hell it took me so long. A game that feels great to play and whose appeal is instantly obvious.

I would normally be inclined to say something about DOOM wads, but another little amusing wrinkle for this particular poll is that Sonic also has one of the more active communities in terms of fan games, and of course the well-regarded official series entry Sonic Mania was made by notable fangame developer Christian Whitehead. Fun that both of these have inspired significant derivative works!
You got BOOST power!
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Sharecrow wrote: 05 Feb 2024 20:12 Sonic 2 will lose this one but not lose my vote. Fantastic game and even somehow incorporated coop.
Little kid/younger sibling coop maybe...