Firmware/System Updates: Current features, future ideas

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Firmware/System Updates: Current features, future ideas

Post by kitroplious »

There have been a lot of exciting system updates lately for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS! In this honor, it may be handy to have a general thread for system updates for Nintendo systems (following the footsteps of their competitors!)

The Wii U recently received the ability to organize software into folders (something that the 3DS has for quite awhile now), the Quick Start Menu, improved accessibility to Nintendo eShop, the ability to transfer content from one system to another, the ability to view PDF files and view Wii Mode on the Wii U GamePad; acting like a portable TV... another way of Off-TV Play!

The Nintendo 3DS, on the other hand, received a huge update, with the ability to customize your HOME Menu with themes (via a Theme Shop), easier access to Nintendo 3DS Image Share page by clicking the "HOME Menu Settings" icon and then the former. The latest system update also brought more Nintendo eShop improvents, such as improved software description navagation, ability to finish your software downloads in the HOME Menu itself without putting the system in sleep mode when selecting "Download Later"; among other changes in the HOME Menu (such as a new way to view notifications).

Of course, late last year, we saw Nintendo Network ID support with shared balances and merged eShop account activity (if the same ID used from Wii U was added to the 3DS system as well). This update, I believe, was an important one and also convenient. The downside to this (although it's also on the competitors' systems as well): You can't change your country from your Nintendo Network ID, which is a shame. Nonetheless though, that was a start in the right direction.

Other than a unified account system (without the requirement of your [old] Wii U/3DS system(s)), what other features do you hope to see in future system updates from these consoles/handhelds, and maybe future Nintendo consoles (if any chance)?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Firmware/System Updates: Current features, future ideas

Post by The Shoemaker »

I definitely appreciated the Quick Start menu on the Wii U, very convenient.

I still want a message system implemented for both the 3DS and Wii U that you can access without closing software, and without disconnecting to the internet within the software. Without a system like this it makes match making online tedious.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I definitely appreciated the Quick Start menu on the Wii U, very convenient.

I still want a message system implemented for both the 3DS and Wii U that you can access without closing software, and without disconnecting to the internet within the software. Without a system like this it makes match making online tedious.
Really? I disabled the quick start stuff as soon as that update came out.

A unified shop/account system across their platforms would be awesome, and the other stuff you mentioned (a WAY better friends/messages system) would both be extremely welcome.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Nintendo needs to join the 21st century on DRM. I want my purchases tied to my account. Nothing else they could update matters as much to me as that.

Their online options are also poor, of course. Would love for online interactions to be improved to PSN/XBL levels.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I definitely appreciated the Quick Start menu on the Wii U, very convenient.

Definitely, I can pick the game I want to play within seconds. I set myself as the default user as well so it's really quick.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I need to look into setting a default user. I was unaware that you could do such a thing! That will speed things up a tiny bit!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
slangman
Beginner

Post by slangman »

Region free gaming, esp for PAL 3DS owners. Europe has been getting a serious raw end of the deal when it comes to retail releases. A proper unified account system would also be nice as well.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:

A unified shop/account system across their platforms would be awesome, and the other stuff you mentioned (a WAY better friends/messages system) would both be extremely welcome.
Friend codes need to go away, and use NNID accounts instead (on all systems). I think those with Wii U consoles that also have 3DS consoles, should have their friends list all together attached to the specific NNID when logged into the home and handheld consoles.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Nintendo expanded the capabilities of the HOME Menu themes/HOME Menu software downloads/theme screenshots on Nintendo 3DS systems yesterday. It's now possible to shuffle themes you pick of your choice (that you've purchased); able to download updates to software on the HOME Menu itself when you see an "UPDATE NOTICE:..." notification on the top screen; and take screenshots of a theme (or non-theme) as a whole (not just top/bottom screen as separate).

There's also a few minor stability changes, as always... Nintendo added "Contact Information [of them]" and Nintendo eShop icons in the HOME Menu Settings; alongside the system Settings and Nintendo 3DS Image Share they added in an earlier update.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Theme shuffle is cool, and home menu updates are great. Sometimes it was hard to find an update on the eShop.

Also, it goes without saying but this update prevents the recent 3DS hack. Give it a couple days and it'll be back I'm sure!