Pokemon needs a Complete Overhaul

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Pokemon needs a Complete Overhaul

Post by Kong Wen »

Meta question: Should we have a general Pokerymans discussion thread separate from this one, or should I just rename this one to be more generic? Or, should we have separate Pokerymans threads for each series/subseries/group/family of entries?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:Meta question: Should we have a general Pokerymans discussion thread separate from this one, or should I just rename this one to be more generic? Or, should we have separate Pokerymans threads for each series/subseries/group/family of entries?
Probably a generic thread separate from this one.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

What exactly does a Mega Evolution do? Apart from look pretty? Also is there a limit to how many times you can mega evolve the pokemon? I am aware you need some Mega Evolution item that you hold then the pokemon must also hold an item?
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:Meta question: Should we have a general Pokerymans discussion thread separate from this one, or should I just rename this one to be more generic? Or, should we have separate Pokerymans threads for each series/subseries/group/family of entries?
Probably a generic thread separate from this one.
New POKEMANZ THREAD!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Pokemon X/Y blew it completely in terms of plot. Most Pokemon games are light on plot, but they did a much better job with it in the 5th generation (Black/White, Black2/White2). In Pokemon X/Y, they had a bunch of crappy, one-dimensional characters (except Lysandre) and what felt like a rushed climax.

The 5th gen games did a much better job. There was some actual character development over the course of the game. Additionally, the villainous team seemed to have a constant presence in the story. In fact, the climax in Black/White actually took place right at the elite 4, which I thought was awesome. N's motivations also made more sense to me. By contrast, Team Flare dabbles with themes of eugenics, overpopulation and resource scarcity but they don't really develop any of those themes too well.

Even though I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, I actually honestly agree with everything mentioned by the OP. I would love the ability to put Pokemon to work on farms or to have other things to do with them outside of battles. That idea reminds me of the Rune Factory games. I also agree that some things need to be sped up as well. The games have improved somewhat in this regard, but they still feel slow. I personally play with max text speed and no animations. Even with all of that, the games still feel like they should be faster.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:Pokemon X/Y blew it completely in terms of plot. Most Pokemon games are light on plot, but they did a much better job with it in the 5th generation (Black/White, Black2/White2). In Pokemon X/Y, they had a bunch of crappy, one-dimensional characters (except Lysandre) and what felt like a rushed climax.

The 5th gen games did a much better job. There was some actual character development over the course of the game. Additionally, the villainous team seemed to have a constant presence in the story. In fact, the climax in Black/White actually took place right at the elite 4, which I thought was awesome. N's motivations also made more sense to me. By contrast, Team Flare dabbles with themes of eugenics, overpopulation and resource scarcity but they don't really develop any of those themes too well.

Even though I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, I actually honestly agree with everything mentioned by the OP. I would love the ability to put Pokemon to work on farms or to have other things to do with them outside of battles. That idea reminds me of the Rune Factory games. I also agree that some things need to be sped up as well. The games have improved somewhat in this regard, but they still feel slow. I personally play with max text speed and no animations. Even with all of that, the games still feel like they should be faster.
Well I'm glad someone feels the same way I do! With each new game I feel like they're inching towards the ideas I've proposed, but that's the problem; inching. Each game feels like a small upgrade when they should be blowing us away with new features.

I kind of wanted to play 5th gen now and see how the story was done there because everyone keeps talking about those games as the one's with the best story.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I think Gamefreak's success is part of the problem. They don't really see a need to change much because, from a business perspective, whatever they're doing is clearly working. They are practically drowning in money at this point. I do think they are moving in a good direction but, as you've said, they are "inching." If they continue throwing out a game every 1-2 years, I don't think they will improve much though.