3DS General Discussion & Recommendations

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: 3DS General Discussion & Recommendations

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:FE a good starting point in the series?
Yes, I think it's actually quite beginner-friendly. There are a number of difficulty options to let the player control just how hard the game is going to be, and there are also some gameplay features that don't exist in the older games.

The story is connected to some earlier FE games, but the plot stands on its own well enough that you won't need to have played them to understand. It's definitely not the best FE game, but it's good, and quite accessible.
Worthy of a whole separate discussion so I won't get into it much, but I'd say FE:A has the best mechanics of any FE I've played, but it could some better maps. They were fine, but most of them felt very open. I like maps where you can split up a team and have they hold positions of the map. I also missed some of the little things from Radiant Dawn like rolling bolders on units, shoving, and having the advantage when positioned at a higher level (altitude wise). But all in all it's definitely a great beginner entry. Big range in difficulty level as well as play styles, does a good job of introducing all the elements of the game to the player.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Re: 3DS General Discussion & Recommendations

Post by Jordan »

Jelly wrote:What's worth playing on the 3DS? Which upcoming games are there to look forward to?

I'm looking for YOUR recommendations of what you've played and enjoyed on the system.
I personally like RPGs so my tastes are kind of skewed.

Rune Factory 4: This is hands-down the best Rune Factory game. It is a pretty good action RPG and sim game despite the cheesy overarching plot.

Etrian Odyssey 4: I'm not sure I would call this the best Etrian Odyssey game, but I like it the best. I liked Etrian Odyssey 4 because in comparison to the others, it felt a lot more accessible. The game felt like it explained everything a lot better than previous titles. The interface felt friendlier as well.

Pokemon: If you like Pokemon, I recommend Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm [Curtain Call?]: I only played the first Theatrhythm game. From what I've heard, the sequel is an improvement in every way. Theatrhythm was amazing so I would imagine the sequel is worth playing as well.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance: This is a hard game to recommend to people. If you've liked previous Kingdom Hearts games, though, I think this is worth playing. I personally think that Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep was better. However, Dream Drop Distance was not disappointing to me. It's a pretty fun game and has some cool new ideas.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: This is probably the best game I've played for 3DS. It is extremely fun and has just the right level of challenge. The characters are great as well.

Monster Hunter 4 is coming out in a few months and it's likely to be an amazing game.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is on sale for the ridiculously low price of 15$. I just bought it myself, but haven't played it yet. I'll probably update this post once I've spent some time with the game.