Shantae game opinions?

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Shantae game opinions?

Post by Jelly »

When it comes to Gameboy Colour platformers, anyone tried Wario Land 3? I think it's bloody great, the game design is really odd and interesting.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I've played about 3 hours of Wario Land III. I like it, but I'm stuck, and there's no direction about where to go, so that sucks. I've hunted around different levels at different times of day trying to figure out what to do, and even used a FAQ, but no go. The game would have benefited from some sort of hint system to lead you from one point to another.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Well, I've played all 3 Shantae games now. The 2nd and 3rd games are definitely better than the original led me to believe. The 3rd game is pretty good. They're a bit expensive compared to their length ($12 for 6 hours and $20 for 10) but I'll come back and replay the games sometime.

The games get increasingly fanservicey, though. It doesn't hurt the gameplay, but it is kind of distracting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

pdSlooper wrote:The games get increasingly fanservicey, though. It doesn't hurt the gameplay, but it is kind of distracting.
This is a little O/T, but I only learned recently that "fanservice" has a decidedly different use beyond what I always assumed it implied. Are you saying it gets creepy or just a little too obsessed with its own fanfare?
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:
pdSlooper wrote:The games get increasingly fanservicey, though. It doesn't hurt the gameplay, but it is kind of distracting.
This is a little O/T, but I only learned recently that "fanservice" has a decidedly different use beyond what I always assumed it implied. Are you saying it gets creepy or just a little too obsessed with its own fanfare?
Based on what I've played of the Shantae games and WayForward games in general, the former.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah the art design gets pretty skimpy with all the characters, in the 3rd game they also have scenes where Shantae is kidnapped while having a bath and later on force to wear even less clothing when she`s mistaken for some sort of desert princess :p It`s all very cute though, in everyone`s reactions and their general expressions.

I enjoyed replaying the third game because you get to start with all of your equipment right off the bat making for some good speed running capabilities, as well as being able to skip portions of dungeons and speed through the early levels. Different endings for collecting all the shadow things too.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons