Boss Monster

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Boss Monster

Post by Kong Wen »

I had a chance to play a 4-player game of Boss Monster (the card game) tonight at my friend's birthday party. It was surprisingly good!

The thing that impressed me the most was that the strategy kept changing depending on the phase of the game you were in. The early game required a different strategy than the mid-game, and the late game (particularly the last couple turns) required an even different strategy. The fact that you had to keep adapting to suit the situation made it really interesting.

There's also never a clear "leader" so you're never sure exactly who it's smart to target. My friend and I were both basically one point from winning, so on the last turn we basically stone-walled each other, which led to another girl winning the game on that turn since no one else could do anything. :)

I'll definitely play this again, especially if we have four players.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Boss Monster

Post by VictorViper »

This one's been on my to-get list for some time now. I know PR has it and likes it too. I've waffled on grabbing it a few times, cheap though it may be, because it's really a filler game and we've got a few of those already.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:This one's been on my to-get list for some time now. I know PR has it and likes it too. I've waffled on grabbing it a few times, cheap though it may be, because it's really a filler game and we've got a few of those already.
What's a filler game?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

It's a term for a game best played between larger games, to break things up. Usually a quicker game, light on mechanics or high strategy.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:It's a term for a game best played between larger games, to break things up. Usually a quicker game, light on mechanics or high strategy.
Ah, OK. Yeah, this one only took about an hour. Very impressed with the amount of strategy it required, although I guess it can be better characterized as tactics or "low" strategy?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Oh for sure, it's not meant to be derogatory or anything. Frankly I find them as essential for shorter game sessions as they are for long ones. We'll frequently play something more involved with friends and find ourselves too short on time for another round, but still up for a game.

pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

At GenCon my wife picked up a LE copy of Boss Monster 2. I haven't played it yet, but it looks great.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I had caught wind this was coming soon. I'm not in a rush to try it since I still haven't played too much of the original, but it'll most likely end up in the collection eventually.