"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Re: "new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by Pluvius »

It's nice of Nintendo to let me know that I made a mistake when I bought my first system of theirs in ten years. I'll be sure not to make a similar mistake with their hardware in the future.

Rob
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I was wondering when we'd hear from someone who's good and upset about this. Product revisions are one thing, but locking out 16 million established users from future titles seems like madness to me. This really does feel like a SEGA move...
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Pluvius wrote:It's nice of Nintendo to let me know that I made a mistake when I bought my first system of theirs in ten years. I'll be sure not to make a similar mistake with their hardware in the future.

Rob
What do you mean by this? Almost every system from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft gets a makeover at some point in its lifetime. The same thing happens when you buy a computer, mobile phone, HDTV, car, etc...
I intend to live forever, or die trying
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Shame it doesn't have an actual second stick instead of those nasty nubs, but I'll take it. I can see what Beta's saying about the positioning too, it looks like it will be awkward to control.

I'm still glad I never bought an original 3DS. This product isn't particularly ambitious, but it's still better than the 3DS, so that's neat. I'm curious how much better the battery life is though, that is the potential upgrade that intrigues me the most.

Xenoblade coming to 3DS is good news too.
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 30 Aug 2014 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

These new systems.
First glance it seems like these are basicly just more like a 3DS versions of the DSi, meaning that a first glance i has all the off the shelf updates that could have been placed in an actual successor system while all custom chipsets remain the same (e.g. same custom dual CPU chip).

Yet on the other hand vague mention CPU update & the ability to play Xenoblade Chronicles, which is was originally was on the Wii a system thats more powerful than an the "Old" 3DS which would make the New 3DS (N3DS) not a new 3DS model, but more like a Successor to the 3DS.

To me thats seems too soon to release a a "New" system. It's not even near 9th generation yet.
at this rate Nintendo be releasing a successor to the N3DS at the end of this generation which would make this system nether fit 8th gen nor 9th gen yet somewhere in-between.

As for the second analog nub I's basicly something that the Old 3DS lite should have from the beginning.
SD micro card means 1.0) we need to buy new redundant cards & copy all the files over & 2.) makes photo & music sharing between N3DS & a PC akward especially as it's place behind the battery compartment.
I want to use a regular card & in it's own easy to access flap & leave the battery compartment for the battery, just like how it was with both the DS line & 3DS line.

Plus the name i ridiculous.
1.) it's sounds too much like it's a 3DS & if the incress CPU power (possibly GPU as well) is correct it doesn't really advertise that's it's a full on new system instead it sounds more like it's 3DS 4.L & 4.X than a 3DS successor 1.L & 1.X.

2.) it would causes confusion within the consumer base in trying to communicate what system they want.
here's some examples I found in regards to what people would say.

"I would like New 3DS please"
"My son would like a New3DS"
"Is that a New old 3DS or a new New 3DS"
And my favourite line would be "I would like a pre-owned New 3DS please"

edit
I guess the SNES coloured buttons do seem pretty cool i guess.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I have to say, it is a pretty nice looking package, particularly the regular-sized model (never cared for the XLs). If I had room for another portable, that would be it.

[EDIT]

Kawaii, that's actually a really good (and hilarious) point about having to ask what model someone wants. Could be a nightmare for poorly informed parents! :D
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kreegs wrote:
Pluvius wrote:It's nice of Nintendo to let me know that I made a mistake when I bought my first system of theirs in ten years. I'll be sure not to make a similar mistake with their hardware in the future.

Rob
What do you mean by this? Almost every system from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft gets a makeover at some point in its lifetime. The same thing happens when you buy a computer, mobile phone, HDTV, car, etc...
Yes, but the New 3DS will have software that the old one doesn't without being an actual "next-gen" handheld. It's a really bizarre cash grab that can really only be described, as other have said, as frighteningly SEGA-esque.
You got BOOST power!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I do agree with you there. But The DSi did somewhat the same thing. It played all the same games, but offered new software. I am personally not surprised that Nintendo did this, as it was done with the last generation of DS consoles.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

VictorViper wrote:I was wondering when we'd hear from someone who's good and upset about this. Product revisions are one thing, but locking out 16 million established users from future titles seems like madness to me. This really does feel like a SEGA move...
Yeah and it feels terrible It's nice to have a system with improved CPU/RAM... but making certain future games only work with these handhelds... at this early in it's life [still], it would drive people upset.

But I still can't believe these systems only support the micro SD cards...
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Claytone wrote: Yes, but the New 3DS will have software that the old one doesn't without being an actual "next-gen" handheld.
I find it more a quasi next gen.
Technically it's the start of the "New 3DS line" line of systems being a full on hardware update including custom chips & all, & effectually ending the 3DS line of systems.
Yet really it's way too early to call it a 9th gen console so it's sort of like a half gen console.

If you look back at the DSi, it's effectually more like a DS3 than rather a full on new system.
It's only has updates that's really just made from of the shelf components (e.g. ram wifi & download system), yet the processing core still remains the same with its 67mhz/33mhz CPU combo chip so really it's just a DS with some cheap enhancements added to it.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"