Top 32: 8/16 - John Marston vs. Solid Snake

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

Which game should advance to the Round of 16?

Poll ended at 10 Dec 2015 21:31

22 - Red Dead Redemption - 2010 - Multiplatform
53%
109 - Metal Gear Solid - 1998 - PS1
47%

Total votes: 19

Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Re: Top 32: 8/16 - John Marston vs. Solid Snake

Post by Pluvius »

link64 wrote: Vote for Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid wasn't even the best stealth game of 1998.
Bullshit. However, RDR wasn't even the best sandbox game of 2010 (Just Cause 2).

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:
link64 wrote:Vote for Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid wasn't even the best stealth game of 1998.
Bullshit. However, RDR wasn't even the best sandbox game of 2010 (Just Cause 2).
Even if there were a better stealth game, I think there's more to MGS than just "being a stealth game."
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Kong Wen wrote:
Pluvius wrote:
link64 wrote:Vote for Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid wasn't even the best stealth game of 1998.
Even if there were a better stealth game, I think there's more to MGS than just "being a stealth game."
Technically Thief has better stealth, but if the only thing you needed to be the best stealth game was to be the best at stealth, then the Battlecruiser series would be the best space sim games ever made.

Rob
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Pluvius wrote:
link64 wrote: Vote for Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid wasn't even the best stealth game of 1998.

Rob
RDR was so much better than Just Cause 2. Hell, on story alone JC2 was out of its depth.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Drauks wrote:
Pluvius wrote:

Rob
RDR was so much better than Just Cause 2. Hell, on story alone JC2 was out of its depth.
RDR's story and gameplay had their moments, but overall the game wasn't even as compelling as some of Rockstar's earlier games (Bully, GTA: SA). Just Cause 2, on the other hand, didn't need much of a story because everything else (the size of the world, the frenetic and highly 3D gameplay, the crazy setpieces) was so good.

Rob
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Pluvius wrote:
Drauks wrote:RDR was so much better than Just Cause 2. Hell, on story alone JC2 was out of its depth.
RDR's story and gameplay had their moments, but overall the game wasn't even as compelling as some of Rockstar's earlier games (Bully, GTA: SA). Just Cause 2, on the other hand, didn't need much of a story because everything else (the size of the world, the frenetic and highly 3D gameplay, the crazy setpieces) was so good.

Rob
I keep hearing Bully touted, but having played it, I just don't see it up there. GTA: SA had it's own issues, and while it was a nice perspective change from typical white America, IT had nothing on Vice City. As far as JC2 goes, I highly doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on it, as I can't help but view it as a gimmicky sandbox experience whose best feature was a mod that added multiplayer to a game that didn't have it.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:Come on, MGS *has* to have one more vote left in the tank! Somebody!
I'm sitting on a vote.

It's going to need 2 to overcome a tie, though, and perhaps 3 if PoisonRamune shows up to vote.
Can we bride PR to vote by talking about our mothers and sisters or has he given up screwing them all?

#LetsGoRDR
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:Come on, MGS *has* to have one more vote left in the tank! Somebody!
I'm sitting on a vote.

It's going to need 2 to overcome a tie, though, and perhaps 3 if PoisonRamune shows up to vote.
Can we bride PR to vote by talking about our mothers and sisters or has he given up screwing them all?

#LetsGoRDR
Or we could send him a message.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

I was wondering if someone would bring up Just Cause 2 in the context of that link64 remark. I couldn't do so since I have not played Just Cause 2. I played the demo and didn't like it, but that's probably not a representative experience. Although I tend to doubt I would like the full game experience. I don't know if any other notable open world third person shooter games came out in 2010(unless you count Crackdown 2, which is supposedly not good). Red Faction Guerrilla and The Saboteur came out the year earlier.

I think Rockstar's games are poorly designed, from the writing to the missions to the controls, so I wouldn't have much to offer to the discussion anyway. As far as I'm concerned, Red Dead Redemption is trash, irredeemable in every way.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote: I'm sitting on a vote.

#LetsGoRDR
Or we could send him a message.
That would just be far to logical.