Hyrule Warriors

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Hyrule Warriors

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I've read quite a few reviews who said they didn't like Dynasty Warriors before but after Hyrule Warriors they liked the style.
I'd be inclined to read that kind of acrobatic, brand-anchored review apologetics with suspicion. "It has Link in it now so it's OK to like it!" Dynasty Warriors is a formulaic game, but it's a fun formula, which is why they keep making them despite getting middling critical reception.

Didn't this game come out in Europe already? Where's all the crazy forum-posting action? Didn't everyone here buy multiple copies?! :) My copy is set to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!
I would agree with that suspicion, but for someone like me who's buying the game because Link's in it, those kind of reviews are relevant to me :lol:. I guess it's easier for some people to give the gameplay time to get into when it's in a universe and setting they care about.

My copy is also supposed to arrive tomorrow. Sort of the unfortunate thing about Nintendo's new Friday release schedule; the weekend turns 3 day shiping into 5 day shiping.
MerlinDrazziw wrote:It's out in Europe, yes, but I haven't purchased it. All the announced DLC made me want the game even less them before. Maybe I'll get it at the end of the Wii U cycle or so. But for now, I've got enough unplayed/unfinished games to keep me busy.
But what about all the free DLC you get!? ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I would agree with that suspicion, but for someone like me who's buying the game because Link's in it, those kind of reviews are relevant to me :lol:. I guess it's easier for some people to give the gameplay time to get into when it's in a universe and setting they care about.
For sure, and that's why Koei has been making these games in other universes for so long (Gundam, One Piece, the upcoming Dragon Quest, etc.). But if Slurm doesn't like the hack & slash formula that's present in all of these games, reviewers suddenly warming up to it because your samurai is wearing a green hat while the gameplay remains fundamentally the same aren't going to help him make an informed decision.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I would agree with that suspicion, but for someone like me who's buying the game because Link's in it, those kind of reviews are relevant to me :lol:. I guess it's easier for some people to give the gameplay time to get into when it's in a universe and setting they care about.
For sure, and that's why Koei has been making these games in other universes for so long (Gundam, One Piece, the upcoming Dragon Quest, etc.). But if Slurm doesn't like the hack & slash formula that's present in all of these games, reviewers suddenly warming up to it because your samurai is wearing a green hat while the gameplay remains fundamentally the same aren't going to help him make an informed decision.
Ah yes, I had forgetten where the conversation had stemmed from!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

My copy just came in actually. So far it's fun, I've played two levels. I've only tried Link and Impa, still trying to figure out the best combos for them. This game looks like it's just full of content!

So far my only issue is that there's a lot of times where I just don't know where to go. I know the map tells you everything, but it's a bit too small to really see it all. Should have been on the Gamepad where it would be big enough to actually see the length of all the coridors and what's going on at each base.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:My copy just came in actually. So far it's fun, I've played two levels. I've only tried Link and Impa, still trying to figure out the best combos for them. This game looks like it's just full of content!

So far my only issue is that there's a lot of times where I just don't know where to go. I know the map tells you everything, but it's a bit too small to really see it all. Should have been on the Gamepad where it would be big enough to actually see the length of all the coridors and what's going on at each base.
Lucky! I checked the mailbox hoping it had come early, but no dice. :(

The main/pause menu should show a full-sized map with objectives. And they should flag you some info when an event/objective happens. Other than that, to be honest, you're probably safe gunning for whatever base or officer you see and seeing what happens.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:My copy just came in actually. So far it's fun, I've played two levels. I've only tried Link and Impa, still trying to figure out the best combos for them. This game looks like it's just full of content!

Lucky! I checked the mailbox hoping it had come early, but no dice. :(

The main/pause menu should show a full-sized map with objectives. And they should flag you some info when an event/objective happens. Other than that, to be honest, you're probably safe gunning for whatever base or officer you see and seeing what happens.
That's too bad Kong, hopefully tomorrow! Ah the good old pause menu, I'll have to try that and see if the map comes up, that'll make it easier. There's a lot of "go to this specific location" missions and I always tend to take the long way because I lose myself in the map :P

Oh and whatever you do, don't piss off the Cucco's...
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:It's out in Europe, yes, but I haven't purchased it. All the announced DLC made me want the game even less them before. Maybe I'll get it at the end of the Wii U cycle or so. But for now, I've got enough unplayed/unfinished games to keep me busy.
Ehh boy... :/ yet again, I kinda agree in one area: The pricing is a bit steep for that one pack [listed in Nintendo eShop].
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:
Ehh boy... :/ yet again, I kinda agree in one area: The pricing is a bit steep for that one pack [listed in Nintendo eShop].
If you mean the $20 season pass, that's not "one pack" but 3-4. I haven't really looked yet so I don't know what's included with every pack. If there are significant additions, then $20 is pretty industry standard. Significant additions for a Warriors game would have to include new stages/maps and characters, IMO.

Also bear in mind that most main-series Warriors game get an Xtreme Legends expansion about a year after release, and then a stand-alone Empires action-strategy game after about another year, each at full retail price. I have a feeling they won't be doing that with a one-off spinoff like this, so a $20 DLC pass isn't too bad.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Kong Wen wrote:Slurm, even the peasant-swarm Dynasty Warriors games are more about reacting to events and moving to the right places on the map, making crack decisions about where to go and when, etc. moreso than about standing in one spot and button-mashing while a number goes up.
People often look at Dynasty Warriors games as if hacking through the mass of enemies is "the point." Which isn't wrong, that's a perfectly legitimate way of viewing the games. But an alternative is that the mass of enemies are an encumbrance towards reaching your goals, like defeating a general, reaching a certain point on the map, protecting your commander, grabbing an item, etc.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:Slurm, even the peasant-swarm Dynasty Warriors games are more about reacting to events and moving to the right places on the map, making crack decisions about where to go and when, etc. moreso than about standing in one spot and button-mashing while a number goes up.
People often look at Dynasty Warriors games as if hacking through the mass of enemies is "the point." Which isn't wrong, that's a perfectly legitimate way of viewing the games. But an alternative is that the mass of enemies are an encumbrance towards reaching your goals, like defeating a general, reaching a certain point on the map, protecting your commander, grabbing an item, etc.
Yes, and I think reframing the action of the game in that way is valuable for folks like Slurm who already don't care for the former peasant-chop way of looking at the game.

I like to wade into seas of peasants, but if someone's not into that, it's nice to know you don't need to do it.