Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

Post by VictorViper »

Yeah, I've never done any kind of hockey pool either (not a stats guy, don't have the mind for it), but I'd be game for a TONe NHL pool. Might give me more incentive to follow the NHL while my buddy is in China, if nothing else.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I have played old-school pen & paper hockey pools, but not these fancy automated website-based ones. Slurm, if you're willing to organize it, just let us know what we have to do.

Would you like to give us a basic rundown of how the process works in advance? Like, do we each pick 10 players and stick with them through the season, or do we need to do hands-on work throughout the season, etc.?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I would prefer to not have to change things daily. I would be ok with changing things weekly?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

So assuming Kong is still happy to play that's 4 of us we'd want to find at least 2 others to join so we had a total of 6.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kreegs wrote:I would prefer to not have to change things daily. I would be ok with changing things weekly?
I wouldn't think this would be a daily thing. Like you said, I think it would be be better as a weekly thing (could differ though by others).
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kreegs wrote:I would prefer to not have to change things daily. I would be ok with changing things weekly?
You need to manually set your team up for each day but you can do them in advance you'd be able to get away with changing things weekly.
Kong Wen wrote:Would you like to give us a basic rundown of how the process works in advance? Like, do we each pick 10 players and stick with them through the season, or do we need to do hands-on work throughout the season, etc.?
We have a live draft a pick a team of around 16 (Default is 2 Centres, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 Defenders, 2 Goalies and 4 Benched players or goalies.

Anyway how it works is.

1. Make an account here.

Each account can have multiple teams so you can have a team in our league then have another team in another league and so forth

2. You'll then have to join the league I create (I'll set one up later). You can then name your team and get an avatar and silly pretty stuff like that.

3. I would then suggest doing mock drafts so you get your head around how the drafting system works.

Basically we'll do the live draft and you'll get assigned a draft spot. Then each team gets to pick players in the draft order.

eg. 4 teams
1st Pick - Team 1
2nd Pick - Team 2
3rd Pick - Team 3
4th Pick - Team 4
5th Pick - Team 4
6th Pick - Team 3
7th Pick - Team 2
8th Pick - Team 1

You'll draft all your team we'll probably stick with the 16 player team.

4. You will then be able to trade players send players to the Free Agency and set up your team.

5. Then the main part of the game starts. You only get points from player who are not benched so everyday (or you can do this all in advance and check in once a week or whenever) you will make sure you have your players that are playing that day off the bench. You also run into issues where some days you'll have to many players playing in one day and you'll need to decide which player to play over another.

Now that main thing is there's 2 modes.

Head to Head where you go to head to head each week with another player and at the end of the week. You then get 1 point for beating them in a catergory. So if I score more goals that week i get 1 point they score more assists they get 1 points and so on with other catergorys (which we can manually pick a choose) (Default is Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, Power Play Points, SOG, Goalie Wins, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.)

Rotisserie Here's a link explaining it it's to hard to explain

I prefer this mode especially if we get a few members who stop playing so it feels more competitive.

Any other questions ask me or look here
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Anyway what I was thinking was we play Rotisserie with the default positions then we use the following scoring options

Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shorthanded Goals (SHG), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

and goalie scoring options.

Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

We will then have to set up a Draft time for everyone.

Was thinking around 9am my time which is 7pm EST and Midnight in England or around Midnight my time which is 10am EST and 3pm in England. Draft will probably take 30-45 minutes depending on how quick everyone is. Of course this would be during the weekend.

What's everyones thoughts?

If people are confused about the scoring system and just want me to do what I think is best that's fine too but I do need to know the best time for everyone to draft.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Tons of posting haha.

Okay I made a league here

Make an account and join the league.

All the settings and the draft date can be changed so I just made some up.

We need at least 4 people.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I would be in for this. Can I ask a buddy of mine to join as well?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I'm in... and I'll probably be last by picking a bad combination of hockey players! :P