The Legend of Zelda: Top 16

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
This Old Neon
Administrator

The Legend of Zelda: Top 16

Post by This Old Neon »

The Legend of Zelda series is somewhat unique among big series with lots of games in that the level of quality is relatively consistent (i.e. high). What better way to flex our “BGE!!!” Project muscles?
  • You can vote for one (1) game in each poll.
  • The winner of each poll will advance to the Quarterfinals.
  • You can’t change your votes once they’ve been submitted, so click carefully. Voting closes on Saturday at 11:59 P.M. ADT.
LINK TO VOTE

The Adventure to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, 1991)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES, 1987)

Original Seasons
The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1986)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC, 2001)

Morning Breath
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch, 2017)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB, 1993)

The Wind Princess
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U, 2013)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U, 2016)

Woodwind of Time
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN, 2002)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS, 2011)

The Skyward Cap
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA, 2004)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii, 2011)

Ages of Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC, 1998)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC, 2001)

A Link between Times
The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds (3DS, 2013)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Top 16

Post by Kong Wen »

I voted for the high seed in every one of these match-ups.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I thought Orcale of Seasons/Ages were basically the same like pokemon blue/red with very very very few differences or is it more like Sapphire and Emerald?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

SkyPikachu wrote: 01 Jul 2019 11:54 I thought Orcale of Seasons/Ages were basically the same like pokemon blue/red with very very very few differences or is it more like Sapphire and Emerald?
Completely different games, different map, different story, different items. They share the same art style and game engine though. I think the stories link if you connect the two games.

It's more like Fire Emblem Birthright vs. Conquest, but still even more different.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 01 Jul 2019 11:54 I thought Orcale of Seasons/Ages were basically the same like pokemon blue/red with very very very few differences or is it more like Sapphire and Emerald?
They're quite a bit different.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

I'm abstaining, from disbelief that majora's mask has been knocked out yet we still have Skyward Sword, link between worlds , Zelda 2 and three remasters on the go...
Last edited by Ouenben on 01 Jul 2019 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Ouenben wrote: 01 Jul 2019 20:08 I'm abstaining from disbelief that majora's mask has been knocked out yet we still have Skyward Sword, link between worlds , Zelda 2 and three remasters on the go...
I thought all the remasters would cancel each other out but instead they made it through and knocked out the unique games :lol:
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben wrote: 01 Jul 2019 20:08 I'm abstaining, from disbelief that majora's mask has been knocked out yet we still have Skyward Sword, link between worlds , Zelda 2 and three remasters on the go...
Zelda 2 and Link between Worlds are both better than MM at least, but yeah MM deserves to be here too. I'll check the stats when I get back to my computer.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Kong Wen wrote: 01 Jul 2019 21:05
Ouenben wrote: 01 Jul 2019 20:08 I'm abstaining, from disbelief that majora's mask has been knocked out yet we still have Skyward Sword, link between worlds , Zelda 2 and three remasters on the go...
Zelda 2 and Link between Worlds are both better than MM at least, but yeah MM deserves to be here too. I'll check the stats when I get back to my computer.
No way, MM had better story, characters, an incredibly unique 3 day mechanic and for its time an incredibly "alive" world thanks to the time system.

LbW was a watered down take on ALttP with a weird painting gimmick and annoying weapon rental system. I absolutely adored ALTTP but never even finished LbW, it didn't have the same charm snd the dungeons just weren't as well designed.

I don't get Zelda 2, I don't see the appeal or what makes it fun or worth playing. I've tried many times to get into it and it feels so utterly different to any other Zelda I've played but not in a good way.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben wrote: 02 Jul 2019 00:08 No way, MM had better story, characters, an incredibly unique 3 day mechanic and for its time an incredibly "alive" world thanks to the time system.

LbW was a watered down take on ALttP with a weird painting gimmick and annoying weapon rental system. I absolutely adored ALTTP but never even finished LbW, it didn't have the same charm snd the dungeons just weren't as well designed.

I don't get Zelda 2, I don't see the appeal or what makes it fun or worth playing. I've tried many times to get into it and it feels so utterly different to any other Zelda I've played but not in a good way.
Yeah, MM is good, don't get me wrong.

I checked the Top 32 results, and both versions of MM only got 3 votes, one less than needed to advance into the Top 16 (or at least a wildcard vote). I voted for a lot of games, but not MM, despite generally enjoying it. I docked it points for being hideous and drab (despite still being much more vibrant and better-looking than Ocarina, which I also snubbed).

Zelda II is a fantastic game IMO. It's certainly a lot different than the rest of the series, but taken on its own merits, it's one of the finest entries in the side-scrolling action-platforming RPG genre. Nintendo definitely took some cues from themselves (Kid Icarus and Metroid) when designing the gameplay, and they did a good job of twisting and shaping the Zelda world into that kind of mould. Competition is stiff in this genre, with the Monster World type games and metrovaniae to contend with, so for one of the earlier entries still to hold up so well is impressive. Plus the music is fantastic.