PlayStation TV

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: PlayStation TV

Post by kitroplious »

Starmancer wrote:To be fair, I don't take my handhelds outside my house, so it's as portable as I need it to be. :P
But imagine all the fun you're missing by not taking it outdoors! :P

I think I should look into the charger once I find a way to purchase the slim PS Vita. As for the PlayStation TV, it's not that surprising to me that you can use the controllers from Sony's home console(s).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Huh, so you don`t even need a Vita to use this? That's very interesting, convenient TV feature as well. I'll have to tell my friend about this one; he likes the Vita for its games but he doesn't want one because he doesn't care for handhelds.
Yeah, you don't need a Vita for this, because this is a Vita! :) It's worth $100 just as a couch-Vita, but for someone who also owns a PS4, the value increases exponentially!
No wonder Japan was all excited about it when it came out, without reading into it I figured it was some sort of TV show service Sony was offering haha. But you can't do the TV switch if you're playing PS4 games though, right? You can only switch between TV's if you're playing a PS1/PSP/Vita game?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:No wonder Japan was all excited about it when it came out, without reading into it I figured it was some sort of TV show service Sony was offering haha. But you can't do the TV switch if you're playing PS4 games though, right? You can only switch between TV's if you're playing a PS1/PSP/Vita game?
I'm not sure what you mean by doing the TV switch.

Example: My PS4 is hooked up to my 70" downstairs. When I get my PSTV, I'll hook it up in my bedroom. I'll be able to play Vita games (and everything that entails: PSP, PS1, PSN, etc.) and PS4 games in my bedroom.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I may actually get this. It's a little like getting a second PS4 for $100...would be neat to play things in my living room (more space, larger TV, etc)
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Sharecrow wrote:I may actually get this. It's a little like getting a second PS4 for $100...would be neat to play things in my living room (more space, larger TV, etc)
Wait, so you don't have to have any PlayStation system for this, just the games and controllers?
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

kitroplious wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:I may actually get this. It's a little like getting a second PS4 for $100...would be neat to play things in my living room (more space, larger TV, etc)
Wait, so you don't have to have any PlayStation system for this, just the games and controllers?
I have a PS4 so this would enable me to use it on two TV's rather than only on one. That's my understanding. You'd have to have the console and this just gives you flexibility that you'd previously have to buy a second console (or move yours around) to be able to get.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:Wait, so you don't have to have any PlayStation system for this, just the games and controllers?
That's right, this unit plugs directly into the TV, and then you use a PS3 or PS4 controller to control it, and either download games off PSN or insert a Vita card to play.
The only thing worth noting is that it won't match the PS4's resolution, since it's essentially controlling your "real" PS4 via remote play. That means it'll downscale the PS4's resolution on-the-fly to 960x544.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:No wonder Japan was all excited about it when it came out, without reading into it I figured it was some sort of TV show service Sony was offering haha. But you can't do the TV switch if you're playing PS4 games though, right? You can only switch between TV's if you're playing a PS1/PSP/Vita game?
I'm not sure what you mean by doing the TV switch.

Example: My PS4 is hooked up to my 70" downstairs. When I get my PSTV, I'll hook it up in my bedroom. I'll be able to play Vita games (and everything that entails: PSP, PS1, PSN, etc.) and PS4 games in my bedroom.
I mean start playing on one TV then switching to another, or is that not possible? So you can play any Playstation game on it then (if you have a PS4) except PS3 games that aren't also available on the Vita?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I mean start playing on one TV then switching to another, or is that not possible? So you can play any Playstation game on it then (if you have a PS4) except PS3 games that aren't also available on the Vita?
Well, you'd obviously need to have one of the devices hooked up to the TV (either the PS4 or the PSTV). I'm not sure how switching on the fly works since I haven't tested it out yet, but I could give it a try. Remote play basically transfers control of the PS4 over to your Vita, so it should work, but I'm not sure if it needs to launch an app that would interfere with an open/suspended game or not.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
kitroplious wrote:Wait, so you don't have to have any PlayStation system for this, just the games and controllers?
That's right, this unit plugs directly into the TV, and then you use a PS3 or PS4 controller to control it, and either download games off PSN or insert a Vita card to play.
The only thing worth noting is that it won't match the PS4's resolution, since it's essentially controlling your "real" PS4 via remote play. That means it'll downscale the PS4's resolution on-the-fly to 960x544.
Someone told me gamers can't tell the difference if something is 1080 or if it is something less because either way it's just amazing.

In all seriousness, the degradation isn't too concerning to me. I kind of like having dedicated rooms for each console but flexibility like this would be neat on occasion.