Star Fox Wii U thoughts

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Star Fox Wii U thoughts

Post by Kreegs »

Star Fox 64 is one of my games of all time. I am clearly excited about the new Star Fox in development for the Wii U, and wanted a place for us to discuss news, updates, speculations, and hopes for the new game. Surprisingly, the wiki article for this game gives a good summary of what is known so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(2015_video_game)

The game has been described having "episodic" structure based on the old tv show, "Thunderbirds." I have this show on DVD and enjoy watching it. Check it out if you want to watch a decent action show involving marionettes.

What are your thoughts about this game? What do you want to see? What have you liked from previous Star Fox games that you would like to see incorporated.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Star Fox Wii U thoughts

Post by Kong Wen »

Two things concern me about this game:

One is using motion controls to aim. They'll have to convince me that works well (or provide different control options).

The other is the presence of the "Landmaster" and some helicopter vehicle. Star Fox is at its best when it's a pure dogfighting / flight action. The more they stick to that and avoid "adventuring" the better.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I dont mind the other vehicles, as long as they are a smaller part of the game. I prefer flying most of the time!

I am sure that there will be an option for a different control scheme, but then again, its Nintendo...
Sinnthro

Post by Sinnthro »

"Personally, I prefer the air!" -- Falco Lombardi

I agree with the sentiment that Star Fox is at its best when it's more a space shooter, but I didn't think any of the landmaster sections were that much worse than the Arwing ones in Star Fox 64...although I haven't really played it recently enough to say for sure. And I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I actually thought Star Fox Assault had some fun ideas going with its 3rd person shooter mechanics. At the very least, it made for some fun little multiplayer sections. I guess I'm saying that so long as it doesn't take too much attention away from the Arwing shooting, I'll be alright with some other stuff thrown in to mix things up. If that Wikipeida article is accurate, I hope the non-Arwing stuff are side missions in the sense that they actually are optional, and not side missions in the sense that they don't impact the main story much, but you still have to do them anyway.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

Personally, I liked ever Star Fox game to some degree. I like the series less for its mechanics and more for its universe, story, and characters, so as long as those are still fine, I'll probably like it. And as I said before, if I want to play a game like Star Fox 64, I'll play Star Fox 64. They can do what they want, IMO.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Never gotten into the series should I wait for a Wii U title or pick up 64 on 3ds?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I won't be able to find a quote, but I faintly remember at E3 Myiamoto saying that there were other control schemes, but that the GamePad motion control offered the best esperience but it gives you that third axis of control. I like this idea, but I'm also a big fan of gyro aiming.

I think making the game episodic is a good plan as well, because as much as we want a new arcade style Star Fox, they really couldn't release a game for $60 that lasts 40 minutes. Hopefully they figure out a good picing model.

As for the non-arwing modes, I'm always down for diversity as long as there's still a singular focus. Not sure if the wiki says this but the Project Giant Robot and Project Guard games shown at e3 are potentially going to be a part of the new Star Fox. I think with better aiming controls and better ideas the landmaster could work out fine in a new game.

I hope they go all out with the voice acting again, I really liked the cheesy one liners from Star Fox 64.
Slurmee wrote:Never gotten into the series should I wait for a Wii U title or pick up 64 on 3ds?
I really like the 3DS version, it adds gyro controls and better audio and visuals, but you could also just go for the original on Wii VC.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I really like the 3DS version, it adds gyro controls and better audio and visuals, but you could also just go for the original on Wii VC.
Sadly, the original is one of the few good Nintendo games that never got a release on the VC. It's baffling. There are a lot of people out there who love Star Fox 64 almost by default, without knowing how great the SNES original was, and it's almost like Nintendo wants it that way.

When I get my SNES stuff unpacked, that might be one of the first games I replay.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Shamefully, I have never played the original!! I never had a SNES, as I went with the Genesis.

64 on the 3DS is really good IMO, so I would pick it up! Club Nintendo reward for this month in NA is Star Fox 64 on the Wii VC if you are able to swing that.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I really like the 3DS version, it adds gyro controls and better audio and visuals, but you could also just go for the original on Wii VC.
Sadly, the original is one of the few good Nintendo games that never got a release on the VC. It's baffling. There are a lot of people out there who love Star Fox 64 almost by default, without knowing how great the SNES original was, and it's almost like Nintendo wants it that way.

When I get my SNES stuff unpacked, that might be one of the first games I replay.
By original I meant the original Nintendo 64 game the 3DS remade, but I completely forgot about the SNES one :p I haven't played it yet either, I would love to have a game like that on my 3DS.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons