Custom made controllers/add-ons

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Custom made controllers/add-ons

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Through a documentary about dutch game developers, I came across the following add-on for a serious game called Underground:
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 354 times
It can be used as a training tool for laparoscopic surgery. Don't know if it will be released publicly, but I'm a bit curious how it would play.

What other controllers do you know that were custom made for a specific game?
Grt. Merlin

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Custom made controllers/add-ons

Post by Jelly »

When it comes to controllers custom made for games, the most famous one is probably the Steel Batallion controller, which is almost more of a control station than an outright controller. The game itself is a mech action game by Capcom.

I'm sure there have also been alot of custom hardware controllers throughout the history of arcade gaming.

As a bit of a sidenote, making custom controllers for disabled is a great thing. The internet celebritity modder Ben Heck has made videos where he makes such devices to fit the needs of the disabled gamer. For example, he recently made PS4 controller that can be played with one hand, thus all the buttons and the other stick have been moved to the right side.

There is a charity organization called AbleGamers Foundation that is centered around this subject, as well as consulting video game developers on how to make games more accessible.