Hyrule Warriors

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Hyrule Warriors

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:I'm a zelda fan but don't like hack and slash games like these should I give it a chance?

Is there a demo?
Which Warriors games have you played so far?
Played a Dynasty Warrior on PS2 not sure which one.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Played a Dynasty Warrior on PS2 not sure which one.
That doesn't sound like a very well-informed "don't like hack and slash games like these", so I think you should definitely give it a chance.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
That doesn't sound like a very well-informed "don't like hack and slash games like these", so I think you should definitely give it a chance.
Oh you got my words confused. I don't like hack and slash games in general. Those mass amounts of enemies and just plowing through them all type of thing.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Oh you got my words confused. I don't like hack and slash games in general. Those mass amounts of enemies and just plowing through them all type of thing.
I know. I'm making the circuitous point that there's more to them than that. Unless you really do find the core gameplay elements boring (which is fair, since many people do), then you should try to give it a chance. There aren't many hack & slash games like the Warriors games—they're almost a genre unto themselves.

It would be great if there were a demo, but from the sounds of the Europeans all asking if there's a demo, there's apparently not a demo. ;)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
Oh you got my words confused. I don't like hack and slash games in general. Those mass amounts of enemies and just plowing through them all type of thing.
From what I've read from reviews it really depends on the person if you'll like the game or not, but I've read quite a few reviews who said they didn't like Dynasty Warriors before but after Hyrule Warriors they liked the style. I think the main thing to remember is that it's not about slicing your way through hoards of enemies but mastering your character, taking control of the field, and unlocking the next character/weapon/map.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

I wasn't that interested in this game until I saw Jim Sterling playing it on his youtube channel, I then read his review of it. I've been wanting to try Dynasty Warriors for a long time, and I think this might actually be a good starting-point.

The Wii U is starting to get a decent enough gaming library..
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jelly wrote:I wasn't that interested in this game until I saw Jim Sterling playing it on his youtube channel, I then read his review of it. I've been wanting to try Dynasty Warriors for a long time, and I think this might actually be a good starting-point.

The Wii U is starting to get a decent enough gaming library..
Do it... joooooin us. ;) You can get one for $200 off of Nintendo's website.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Jelly wrote: The Wii U is starting to get a decent enough gaming library..
The WiiU already had a good enough library for the amount of time I have to game. This game definitely helps the cause!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I've read quite a few reviews who said they didn't like Dynasty Warriors before but after Hyrule Warriors they liked the style.
I'd be inclined to read that kind of acrobatic, brand-anchored review apologetics with suspicion. "It has Link in it now so it's OK to like it!" Dynasty Warriors is a formulaic game, but it's a fun formula, which is why they keep making them despite getting middling critical reception.

Slurm, even the peasant-swarm Dynasty Warriors games are more about reacting to events and moving to the right places on the map, making crack decisions about where to go and when, etc. moreso than about standing in one spot and button-mashing while a number goes up.

Didn't this game come out in Europe already? Where's all the crazy forum-posting action? Didn't everyone here buy multiple copies?! :) My copy is set to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

It's out in Europe, yes, but I haven't purchased it. All the announced DLC made me want the game even less them before. Maybe I'll get it at the end of the Wii U cycle or so. But for now, I've got enough unplayed/unfinished games to keep me busy.
Grt. Merlin