"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: "new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:The normal-sized (i.e. non-XL) New 3DS is finally coming to North America on 25 September as part of an Animal Crossing: Interior Decorating bundle.

If anyone wanted the normal version, this probably won't be your only option—my guess is they'll also introduce a stand-alone version at a slightly cheaper price point. Even if they don't, you could just order some faceplates to convert it from Animal Crossing mode into something more palatable.
I hope so. I was pretty close to buying one of the normal sized ones in Japan, but I didn't when I figured out that the games were region locked. Might be interested when it arrives in the US. Not sure though.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:The normal-sized (i.e. non-XL) New 3DS is finally coming to North America on 25 September as part of an Animal Crossing: Interior Decorating bundle.

If anyone wanted the normal version, this probably won't be your only option—my guess is they'll also introduce a stand-alone version at a slightly cheaper price point. Even if they don't, you could just order some faceplates to convert it from Animal Crossing mode into something more palatable.
I hope so. I was pretty close to buying one of the normal sized ones in Japan, but I didn't when I figured out that the games were region locked. Might be interested when it arrives in the US. Not sure though.
I hear the bundle comes with the download code for the game, so worst case scenario anyone who wants the system and not the game could sell the code.

Nice to see it make it over though, will be interesting to see if it's a limited bundle situation or if the console will hit store shelves on its own.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

The price of the new bundle is pretty ridiculous in Canada. In the US it's $219.99, which is about the price of a $169.99 system plus a $50 game. In Canada it's $269.99, which is the price of a $219.99 system plus a $50 game. Odd thing is that the new 3DS XL in Canada costs $219.99 already, so you'd think the smaller version would cost less. Instead it's being priced exactly the same as the XL version, and charging an extra $5 for the game since the game is only $44.99.

In the US games are only $39.99, so they're only getting ripped by $10 (assuming the new 3DS would normally market for $169.99 like the old one). In Canada the old 3DS went for $169.99, and the XL for $199.99. The new XL was $20 more, so we can only assume they would charge $20 more for the small new 3ds as well, costing around $189.99. Subtract the cost of the game from the bundle price, and you're paying $35 more than you should be. You could literally buy the new 3DS XL, and the game, for $5 less. :lol:
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

People who upgraded what did you have before 2ds/3ds/XL and which did you buy. Do you believe it's been worth the purchase?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:People who upgraded what did you have before 2ds/3ds/XL and which did you buy. Do you believe it's been worth the purchase?
I had original 3DS, then got an XL, then a new XL. It was worth it for me just because I play 3DS everyday so the better 3D and download speeds were appreciated. It's also worth it for me because I put hundreds of hours into Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, and Smash Bros, all which benefit from the system.

If someone wasn't interested in SNES games or Xenoblade, at this point I'd say get a 2DS. I don't think it will be too long until Nintendo announces a new hand held.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Slurmee wrote: If someone wasn't interested in SNES games or Xenoblade, at this point I'd say get a 2DS. I don't think it will be too long until Nintendo announces a new hand held.
Well with How Nintendo is the last several years & stuff who knows what.
First of all the NX Rumour mill all over the place, especially one of them being the Home & portable console cross
also there portable line, they seem to be adopting a new strategy every couple of years with no given reason.
THe DS line had 7 years.
Yet we got the DSi, with off the self updates that ether A) available as an accessory for the DS GBA slot or B) might as well waited for it's successor.

Well the 3DS was a fair enouth console An actual DS successor, not a DS5 but unlike the DS 7 year run the 3DS had only 3 years till the New 3DS arrived with double the CPU cores & what not.
Unfortunally Theres not too many games that really showed that it's a full on successor.
so the N3DS appears to be more like a 3DS successor, not a 3DS 4 at all.
Plus with the company under new leadership to add to the mix means we do not really know whats happening with Nintendo as it's a confusing
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

I found when I made the switch from my launch day 3DS to the New 3DS, newer games like Smash loaded quickly. That was great since I could hesr my old one straining to run games like Smash. Aldo the second nub is nice since it should have been there in the first place
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:
Slurmee wrote: If someone wasn't interested in SNES games or Xenoblade, at this point I'd say get a 2DS. I don't think it will be too long until Nintendo announces a new hand held.
Well the 3DS was a fair enouth console An actual DS successor, not a DS5 but unlike the DS 7 year run the 3DS had only 3 years till the New 3DS arrived with double the CPU cores & what not.
Unfortunally Theres not too many games that really showed that it's a full on successor.
so the N3DS appears to be more like a 3DS successor, not a 3DS 4 at all.
Well I told you several times before the new 3DS came out that it wouldn't be a successor, just like DSi wasn't a successor :lol: I think it was very deliberate that they didn't make many new 3DS exclusives, because it wasn't a replacement for the 50 million 3DS's out there. In North America the 3DS had been out for 4 years by the time the new 3DS came around, and if NX happens to be a handheld as well, then the 3DS will have been supported for 6 years, which I think is decent.

But yeah, I would say either go with a 2DS or wait until later this year when Nintendo announces the NX so we know what it actually is.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just watched a video on twitter about the "new Nintendo 2DS XL" launching july 28th. It's the same model as the new 3DS XL, just without the 3D. Depending on the price and colors, I might be interested in getting one at some point (not at launch anyway).
Anyone else interested in this new iteration in the DS family?
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just watched a video on twitter about the "new Nintendo 2DS XL" launching july 28th. It's the same model as the new 3DS XL, just without the 3D. Depending on the price and colors, I might be interested in getting one at some point (not at launch anyway).
Anyone else interested in this new iteration in the DS family?
To be honest I was kind of hoping to never touch my 3DS again after getting a Switch, but it looks like we'll be getting a new Fire Emblem soon so I don't have much of a choice :lol:

It kind of looks like the evolution of the DS Phat (the original model). It looks better than the original 2DS, and you can tell it is still kid friendly. Seems like an effective way of getting as much out of the 3DS line as they can.

Also of note, Hey Pikmin and Miitopia release the same day as the new 2DS XL.