October Gaming - Be Very Afraid

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: October Gaming - Be Very Afraid

Post by Sharecrow »

I'm in a really tough spot in Fatal Frame and but I feel like if I can bust this next ghost I should be able to start saving up resources preparing for whatever horrible last boss the game throws at me (I think I know what it is - am not looking forward to it). I made some incremental progress in Siren as well - they let me keep my sawed-off shotgun. Woot!
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I went ahead and started Fatal Frame over and am playing more conservatively. I flew through the first night using very little film and no herbal medicine. I've got a stone mirror, too. Kicking ass and taking names...
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Lots of you folks seem to be having fun with your games! That's good. Maybe we can all come away from this thread with some good recommendations. :)

I just restarted Persona 3 FES, which may end up ruining my chances of beating more than maybe one of my Halloween picks. I've played 8 hours in two days, so I think it's safe to say I'm hooked. Fortunately, P3 has enough dark themes that it's not totally inappropriate. Plus it's fun, so thematic matching be damned!

Since I've already beaten games from the GnG and Castlevania series, I think I'll probably prioritize Splatterhouse when I can tear myself away from P3. I played it years ago back when I first bought it on VC, and I found it a bit underwhelming. I'm hoping a fresh look at it will be more fun.
You got BOOST power!
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

So since Fatal Frame irritated me, I started over, as I've already mentioned, and busted out with my killer hat. I've just gotten to night 3, affectionately called 'The Calamity.' And I'm about to take on that sword wielding ghost but with much more and better supplies this time. I'll beat this soon I think. I've been a beast tearing through this haunted house. I think they're afraid of me this time!

Look over here at my camera, poor little guy. I know it's been rough here. I can help you...I can help you find the peace you'd been restlessly seeking your whole life and that you continue to look for even now. Let me show you what the void looks like. You've got nothing better to do - it'll be really quick. You'll be at rest so quickly and deeply you won't even realize it - not even for a moment. Say 'cheese,' you ass...
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

So last night I finally beat Fatal Frame. That was, without a doubt, the most frightening game I have ever played in my entire life. I loved it, but I don't think I'll ever play it again. It took me about twelve years to get through consisting of three restarts (so four starts total). I grew to love that little house from an architectural standpoint. It was spacious and cute aside from its haunting issues.

I also got to episode 8 in Siren: Blood Curse.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Nice work, Share! And nice progress in Siren, too. I'm only into the third episode so far - due to lack of playing, not any particular difficulty or puzzle barrier. The controls are still bothersome, but I can work past that. Mostly I'm disappointed that it hasn't managed a proper scare or even any level of tension so far. But, it's still early. Hopefully it'll sink its claws in as I plug through.

Meanwhile, I'm getting close to the end of Lone Survivor. I've entered the city and... well, I don't know what comes next, but there's one good way to find out!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

VictorViper wrote:Nice work, Share! And nice progress in Siren, too. I'm only into the third episode so far - due to lack of playing, not any particular difficulty or puzzle barrier. The controls are still bothersome, but I can work past that. Mostly I'm disappointed that it hasn't managed a proper scare or even any level of tension so far. But, it's still early. Hopefully it'll sink its claws in as I plug through.
I think it was episode 5 or 6 before it ever stressed me out. Even then it was only mildly, though... It's not that creepy of a game.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I started downloading Resident Evil 4 (HD) in response to my getting further in Siren and there still being more than a week left of the month. Also, Siren is boring me just a touch. Or at least I'm getting restless.

I played another episode and a half, though, and had some genuinely good experiences for that type of game. I think a character passed away that I didn't really want to (and certainly not in that way). The controls are occassionally irritating, but not so much that it interferes with my enjoyment. Three more chapters to go. I'm now on episode 10.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

For anyone interested in taking part but who doesn't have a game to play yet, PSN's Sale of the Dead started tonight. It's a two-week sale, with different deals each week.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I've been playing Chainsaw Warrior on Steam, which kind of counts (?), because it has zombies in it. It's based on an old board game, where you draw cards to determine your next encounter, and events are resolved with dice throws. As such, while the encounters start to become fairly consistent across multiple play-throughs, the results (that is, whether you're successful) are random. It can be frustrating at first to only have a 7.5% chance of beating the end boss when you encounter him... but when you take into account that each game really only takes 10-15 minutes, it's not so bad... although it is horrible.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming