Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) distribution ending

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) distribution ending

Post by kitroplious »

Almost two years after the stoppage of Nintendo Power magazine in North America, The Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) is providing its last issue (#114) coming up this month.

Although this may be the end of ONM, there is still third-party magazines, such as NF Magazine (in follow-up of the former's magazine closure), and Pure Nintendo Magazine.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) distribution ending

Post by The Shoemaker »

That's too bad, understandable, but too bad. I hope employees find good jobs somewhere.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
slangman
Beginner

Post by slangman »

Sad day, as I used to regularly buy ONM, back when it was first launched, till 2008, which I then only bought there and there. Was also very active on their in the early days as well, until I started becoming more active on the VC-F forums. I am not surprised at all they shut down, as they stopped updating their website all together for months now, and the staff was reduced to just a couple editors. Will miss the mag.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

It's hard times for print mags, especially ones who cater entirely to subjects whose communities are basically anchored online.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:It's hard times for print mags, especially ones who cater entirely to subjects whose communities are basically anchored online.
I had hoped color e-readers (like a Kindle Fire) would provide another avenue for them but that hasn't happened.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

I'm actually surprised how many video game magazines in the UK have survived, especially GamesMaster a magazine based on a show that ended 16 years ago.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Sharecrow wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:It's hard times for print mags, especially ones who cater entirely to subjects whose communities are basically anchored online.
I had hoped color e-readers (like a Kindle Fire) would provide another avenue for them but that hasn't happened.
I can't understand why so many publications allowed this to happen. I mean, the writing was on the wall for years leading up to true obsolescence, and it's not like larger publications needed to get in on the ground floor to find success in the digital space. You'd think that the web and eReaders are something new and unproven. And like KW mentioned, this is especially perplexing with publications dealing in new media and computing. I suspect it's a byproduct of the "old guard" - publishers and the like who, as with the music and movie industries, held onto their old ways with a blind death-grip. It's always sad to see an established publication flop (at least, assuming they're any good, which sounds like is the case here), but as they say, from the ashes...
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.