Nintendo's Shorting the Generation Gap

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Nintendo's Shorting the Generation Gap

Post by kawaiipikachu »

As we all know it's usually every 5-7 years till a new console comes along.
Thing is Nintendo seems to be trying to shorten generations between consoles.
With Nintendo's immediate release of the N3DS, only after 3 years after the 3DS was released.
Beforehand the DS had 7 years with 3 revisions that's nothing more than case design & off the shelf updates.

The N3DS on the other hand proving itself to be a fully fledge successor to the 3DS, yet it's release is at least a couple of years sooner than normally expected.

Think of it this way once a console been released a couple of years & have plenty of time for the systems catalogue to build up to choose from & lot of people tend to be ready to grab one themselves expecting another couple of years for left for some neat new releases.

Think of it this way, A lot of people just recently just grabbed themselves a 3DS & the very next day that the N3DS was announced.
It would put them off because a new generation means only a handful of new 3DS games is going to be released & after that It's all exclusively new games for this prematurely new generation system.
That means that they be missing out on a lot of games because of this shortened generation gap.

Nintendo should really make the 3DS a few more years worthwhile, not make a whole new system too soon.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: Nintendo's Shorting the Generation Gap

Post by kitroplious »

kawaiipikachu wrote:As we all know it's usually every 5-7 years till a new console comes along.
Thing is Nintendo seems to be trying to shorten generations between consoles.
With Nintendo's immediate release of the N3DS, only after 3 years after the 3DS was released.
Beforehand the DS had 7 years with 3 revisions that's nothing more than case design & off the shelf updates.

The N3DS on the other hand proving itself to be a fully fledge successor to the 3DS, yet it's release is at least a couple of years sooner than normally expected.

Think of it this way once a console been released a couple of years & have plenty of time for the systems catalogue to build up to choose from & lot of people tend to be ready to grab one themselves expecting another couple of years for left for some neat new releases.

Think of it this way, A lot of people just recently just grabbed themselves a 3DS & the very next day that the N3DS was announced.
It would put them off because a new generation means only a handful of new 3DS games is going to be released & after that It's all exclusively new games for this prematurely new generation system.
That means that they be missing out on a lot of games because of this shortened generation gap.

Nintendo should really make the 3DS a few more years worthwhile, not make a whole new system too soon.
They're making the New 3DS for convenience, in regards to not requiring the Circle Pad Pro and Amiibo adapters, as well as more effective 3D and faster speed/improved stability. However, as we all know it, Nintendo is the Apple of traditional gaming (especially on handhelds).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kawaiipikachu wrote:It would put them off because a new generation means only a handful of new 3DS games is going to be released & after that It's all exclusively new games for this prematurely new generation system.
This is what remains to be seen. We don't know how many upcoming games are going to be released exclusively for N3DS, and how many are just going to be 3DS games that are also compatible with the new system.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
kawaiipikachu wrote:It would put them off because a new generation means only a handful of new 3DS games is going to be released & after that It's all exclusively new games for this prematurely new generation system.
This is what remains to be seen. We don't know how many upcoming games are going to be released exclusively for N3DS, and how many are just going to be 3DS games that are also compatible with the new system.
Definitely a wait and see situation. I`m sticking with my guns and hoping that there will be more 3DS games than new 3DS, but who knows. I hope we see more games like Smash Bros. and MH4U which benefit from playing on a new 3DS, but are perfectly playable on the regular one.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Should expect Nintendo to get developers to take full advantage of the N3DS extra hardware meaning most N3DS games are probably be straight out exclusives.

I can't imagine Dual mode graphics system without having 2 slightly different versions of the same game on the Card So graphics wise I can't even see how a GameBoy Colour/Super GameBoy style dual mode game would work.
Sure load times can be improved similar to smash bros but I can't imagine developers spending money getting new dev units just to do that.
I can only imagine most N3DS games be exclusive's.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
Should expect Nintendo to get developers to take full advantage of the N3DS extra hardware meaning most N3DS games are probably be straight out exclusives.

I can't imagine Dual mode graphics system without having 2 slightly different versions of the same game on the Card So graphics wise I can't even see how a GameBoy Colour/Super GameBoy style dual mode game would work.
Sure load times can be improved similar to smash bros but I can't imagine developers spending money getting new dev units just to do that.
I can only imagine most N3DS games be exclusive's.
I think developers will be much more willing to appeal to the 40 million 3DS owners over the new 3DS ones. It sounds like it's not too much of a hassel to offer new 3DS support to 3DS games - WayForward have said that when the new 3DS comes out they're going to update Shantae and the Pirates Curse to take advantage of the new 3DS.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons