Official Pokémon Discussion Thread

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Official Pokémon Disscussion Thread

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 05 Dec 2018 17:46 Let's Go is fun so far. I'm in the early goings. Handheld mode is much better than any of the TV control schemes. Pikachu > Eevee.

Can someone explain to me what a Nuzlocke challenge is?
It's hard to explain for let's go as there's weird gym requirements that make nuzlocke rules impossible sometimes plus no battling wild pokemon also makes it weird.

Basically it's a hard mode. (Imagine you're playing an older pokemon game)

This explain it

So I started my nuzlocke yesterday and got to the first gym without a grass or water pokemon and wasn't allowed to enter and even if i did my pokemon would have all gotten killed as they were underleveled as trainers give little to no exp. I changed the rules slightly to i can catch every pokemon once but can't keep them so it fills my dex and helps me level up
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Let's Go started off not bad, but after a few hours it really got its hooks in me. I really like the leveling system, lots of ways to gain exp quickly because of all the multipliers.

A good way to go about leveling quick is using a lure, then catching the same pokemon over and over to increase the combo, get excellent throws and playing in 2 player mode (one joy con in each hand). Then of course, going for the large/tiny mons. Can easily rack up 20+ multipliers.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Using lure and having 31+ catch combo is also the best way to get shines (with the shiny charm for get 150 Mon)
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

IT'S GO TIME THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT NOT A DRILL

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 39616?s=19

6am PST
7am MST
8am CST
9am EST
10am AST
10:30am NST
2pm GMT
3pm CEST
11pm JST
1am AEDT
3am NZDT
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Keep in mind I came in with a worried mindset for this gen after hating Gen 7 so very much. I loved Gen 4 when I played it in 2018 for the first time and I enjoyed Let's go but it was clearly a half completed game and really was filler until 2019. Also I was a huge fan of gen 1/2/3 and I haven't played Gen 5 or 6.

Anyway here's my thoughts.

Pros
Region looks varied and interesting
Customisable clothing is back
Wild battles is back
Gyms are back
No talk of motion control (atleast for now)

Cons
World seems small for a switch title (unless I'm misjudging the size it's kinda hard to tell)
Graphics are terrible for a home console AAA game.
Pokemon don't seem to follow you
Random encounters are back meaning stocking up on repels or suffering through shit pokemon. This also will make getting good IV pokemon harder and shiny hunting harder unless they change something.
Starters didn't stand out to me (personal preference)

Summary
Firstly why did they reveal the whole map that's mega spoilery what happened to going on a adventure and finding out there's a snow area and a cool underground level during the journey. Just weird marketing.

Anyway graphically I expected more realistic or atleast botw style graphics these seem really bad.

The two big things for me were keeping the pokemon spawning in the overworld and Pokemon following you and on both fronts they didn't include it.

It seems like they've gone with a very safe approach which upsets me as well this was their chance for their biggest change yet and to me it seems like it's going to be more of the same. (safe is fine just not what I wanted)

There's still a lot we don't know but I'm really worried that PvP stuff will be just as hard to get again. I shouldn't have to hatch 7000 eggs to get the pokemon I want.

The titles are super interesting as I don't think I've really seen weapons mentioned before. Pokemon have always done the fighting so why are swords and shields needed. Very interested in the lore behind this.

Im on the side of not buying currently (day 1/full price) but I really think we need more details regardless before deciding. So much is unknown about the core of the game which matters a lot.

For anyone who cares scorbunny was the only starter that interested me. Really hoping it's not a fire fighting stage 2 pokemon. Even then scorbunny didn't excite me like rowlet did or mudkip, piplup, Charmander.

What's everyone else's thoughts?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

For points

- I don't think botw is a good comparison, completely different developers and completely different genre of games.
- I'd also say it's impossible to tell how big the map is without playing it, looks to be the biggest so far is all I can say. Regardless, we're talking what's supposed to be a 20 hour rpg here.
- They always show the map before the game comes out.

With that said, this game upon first look meets my minimum expectations, which is too bad. Maybe even below expectations since random encounters are back. We'll see, but I fully expect battles to be as annoying as they've always been.

Visually the game is pretty, though it's definitely still a Game Freak game. They are notoriously pretty mediocre when it comes to optimizing hardware.

I liked the music they showed off. My main hope for the game is an interesting story that doesn't get in your way, and a snappy experience from the menu's to the world interaction. I expect to get neither!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Looking at the character models compared to say daemon x Machina really shows how bad it looks. Also compare this to Dragon Quest with is a very similar game and it doesn't look thst great and then Mario odysessy. I really was expecting a botw or odysessy reaction.

The textures and modeling really are sub par and it sucks that a franchise I love isn't giving the franchise enough love and sucks more that the fans completely overlook it. This feels like a Super Mario Galaxy 3 instead of an Odysessy Image
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

This does not feel like Mario Galaxy 3 scenario, that's giving this game way too much credit :lol:

I wonder if this game started as a 3DS title, development started in 2016. And we know Game Freak was worried if the Switch would even take off.

But yeah, expecting great things on a technical level from Game Freak will always disappoint.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 00:34 This does not feel like Mario Galaxy 3 scenario, that's giving this game way too much credit :lol:

I wonder if this game started as a 3DS title, development started in 2016. And we know Game Freak was worried if the Switch would even take off.

But yeah, expecting great things on a technical level from Game Freak will always disappoint.
Im saying its galaxy 3 as its not changing much and graphically its not a leap like odyssey and botw were. It starting as a 3ds title makes a lot of sense.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 28 Feb 2019 02:17
The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 00:34 This does not feel like Mario Galaxy 3 scenario, that's giving this game way too much credit :lol:

Im saying its galaxy 3 as its not changing much and graphically its not a leap like odyssey and botw were. It starting as a 3ds title makes a lot of sense.
3D World 2 would be a better example, since it was a safer entry with not a lot of innovation that's not heavily requested by fans. Galaxy is a heavily requested sequel in a series (Galaxy seires) known for creativity.