Official Pokémon Discussion Thread

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Official Pokémon Disscussion Thread

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 03:00
Slurmee wrote: 28 Feb 2019 02:17
The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 00:34 This does not feel like Mario Galaxy 3 scenario, that's giving this game way too much credit :lol:

I wonder if this game started as a 3DS title, development started in 2016. And we know Game Freak was worried if the Switch would even take off.

But yeah, expecting great things on a technical level from Game Freak will always disappoint.
Im saying its galaxy 3 as its not changing much and graphically its not a leap like odyssey and botw were. It starting as a 3ds title makes a lot of sense.
3D World 2 would be a better example, since it was a safer entry with not a lot of innovation that's not heavily requested by fans. Galaxy is a heavily requested sequel in a series (Galaxy seires) known for creativity.
Yeah good point. Problem is this will still sell so gamefreak has no reason to make it better
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 28 Feb 2019 03:02
The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 03:00
Slurmee wrote: 28 Feb 2019 02:17

Im saying its galaxy 3 as its not changing much and graphically its not a leap like odyssey and botw were. It starting as a 3ds title makes a lot of sense.
3D World 2 would be a better example, since it was a safer entry with not a lot of innovation that's not heavily requested by fans. Galaxy is a heavily requested sequel in a series (Galaxy seires) known for creativity.
Yeah good point. Problem is this will still sell so gamefreak has no reason to make it better
Yeah that's why I've given up hope for the series to make meaningful changes. This isn't the company to do it, and it's doing too well to expect it.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

A big thing about pokemon not spawning in the overworld and pokemon not following you is that Gamefreak isn't listening to the fans which worries me with other aspects of the game. What other old outdated concept is still in this game?

I haven't met someone that hasn't liked pokemon following them (and it's fairly easy to just not have them follow you if you don't like it by having it toggled in the menus).

The pokemon spawning in overworld thing was one of the biggest thing people loved about let's go. I've had people shit all over let's go then say yeah the overworld thing is cool if the encounters were actually battles. It made the world feel full and not empty. The fact they went out of their way to show in this trailer it's been removed honestly just felt like a huge fuck you to an outdated system.

I mentioned graphics earlier the game look fine but it should look amazing. I really hope they polish it more though a fix those textures looking oh so bad. If the game launched looking like this though it's not going to make or break my purchase.

The design on the cities and towns look cool but the map worries me. Not a lot of ocean so I'm really wondering how surf or the surf ability will come into play. Also it looks really linear I'd really have been done for more of a botw style square/circle where you could just go off in any direction instead of just up/down.

After properly looking at everything I'm really really on the fence about it. Random encounters is a huge below to me but it's not a deal breaker.

Hoping we see more before or during E3.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

It's only been months since Let's Go's release, so they wouldn't have had that fan feedback in mind when developing this title, which started in 2016.

I'm guessing they just wanted to be traditional for this game and the decision was made early on to have random encounters, probably before Let's Go even started development.

I think there's going to be a moderate stink when this game comes out from those who dislike random encounters. Makes me think the next game will be rid of them.

I'm also guessing there's no co-op in this game either, which really means they took none of the good from Let's go.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Feb 2019 09:09 It's only been months since Let's Go's release, so they wouldn't have had that fan feedback in mind when developing this title, which started in 2016.

I'm guessing they just wanted to be traditional for this game and the decision was made early on to have random encounters, probably before Let's Go even started development.

I think there's going to be a moderate stink when this game comes out from those who dislike random encounters. Makes me think the next game will be rid of them.

I'm also guessing there's no co-op in this game either, which really means they took none of the good from Let's go.
That's a really good point too. Hopefully I'm wrong and the rest of the games fun. Maybe this will be the 3ds/switch hybrid and originally this was going to launch 2018 on 3ds but they delayed it to make it a switch game so in a few years time we'll get the true switch pokemon game.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Nothing impressed me from the trailer. The only thing I like about this is all the Scotland twitter memes.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pokémon Home seems like some kind of centralized online hub for your Pokédex across Go, Sleep, the 3DS games, and Sword & Shield, including trading.

Pokémon Sleep seems like... maybe the culmination of Nintendo's abortive heart rate monitor? Get some kind of Pokémon Go rewards for sleeping?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I feel like the first footage we saw of Pokemon Sword and Shield was a bait and switch or something. They initially showed small areas with what looked like a confined camera angle, and no pokemon in the world. Now with the latest footage, we saw a huge area to explore with free camera control, and pokemon in the wild.

I'm excited now.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

It looks good. I'm here for that toilet paper sheep. Glad to see Nintendo continuing to take cues from Dark Souls with the new legendaries, too.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Re: Official Pokémon Discussion Thread

Post by Jordan »

This game has become a flashpoint of controversy. People are extremely angry that they are removing Pokemon and taking out the National dex. On the other hand, their excuse for doing so, which was supposedly to improve the graphics, has not convinced anybody. Many people believe that the graphics and animations are lazy and lackluster. Some people cite how even Pokemon Battle Revolution on the Wii was far superior in this regard. Other people have even shown how a Chinese bootleg Pokemon gacha game had better animations than Gamefreak's Sword and Shield.

Will it affect sales? I doubt it. Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu had unbelievable staggering sales numbers despite being mediocre games which also removed Pokemon and features. If those games are a bellwether of things to come, Sword and Shield should do just fine despite the populist furor from hardcore fans. Nintendo would have to screw up much harder in order for a Pokemon game on one of their best selling consoles to bomb.

Personally, I got tired of Pokemon by the time of the X/Y generation. I never trifled with Sun/Moon, even though I found some of the Pokemon designs interesting (like the Zhuge Liang ape). Therefore, the drama doesn't really affect me personally as I probably wasn't going to play Sword/Shield anyways. However, I do find some of the reaction interesting.