Official Pokémon Discussion Thread

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Official Pokémon Disscussion Thread

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:3 mil hey? I guess that's NA and Japan. Pretty decent sales I'd say!

I picked up Ruby, haven't played it too much yet because I'm trying to finish other games first. I love the DexNav though; searching for Pokemon is great and being able to see when you've "caught em all" in an area is a welcomed feature. I also like that battles have been made a little faster.
Oh I'm going to like the feature of knowing I've caught them all in an area. That's something I always try to do and need other resources for. I'm glad it's selling well.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I also like that battles have been made a little faster.
Anything to make the tedious battles faster is a welcome addition. My first pokerymans game was Pearl or Platinum or something around that time, and I had to stop halfway through (if that) because of all the song & dance that took place between each meaningful interaction. You even had to wait and watch the HP bar decrease after every attack!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Anything to make the tedious battles faster is a welcome addition. My first pokerymans game was Pearl or Platinum or something around that time, and I had to stop halfway through (if that) because of all the song & dance that took place between each meaningful interaction. You even had to wait and watch the HP bar decrease after every attack!
Haha the that's funny because that's what they sped up in this game; the HP bar decreases twice as fast as before. Took them how many games to change that? :lol:
That's the biggest thing that bugs me about Pokemon though, all the filler text. Not even filler text you can speed through, filler text you cannot get rid of for at least a second or two after it pops up.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Haha the that's funny because that's what they sped up in this game; the HP bar decreases twice as fast as before. Took them how many games to change that? :lol:
The thing is, you shouldn't have to wait for it at all. The bar should go down while other stuff happens. That's what blew my mind when I first played—you actually had to sit there and wait while the bar went down before you could do anything!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Haha the that's funny because that's what they sped up in this game; the HP bar decreases twice as fast as before. Took them how many games to change that? :lol:
The thing is, you shouldn't have to wait for it at all. The bar should go down while other stuff happens. That's what blew my mind when I first played—you actually had to sit there and wait while the bar went down before you could do anything!
I totally agree, I think Game Freak makes some of the worst decisions, they're just lucky they've made a popular series :lol:

I'm not sure if everything is so space out and in your face for the sake of kids or what it is, all I know is it's annoying in every game. But I manage to cringe and get past it and hope that someday they'll learn that finding new ways to make us wait isn't fun.

Not to say I'm down on this game at all, so far it's a good improvement over X and Y, but as most of you know I had extensive critisms about those games as well.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Having only played pokemon as a kid it confused me when other stuff happened while the bar went down in turn based. I personally like knowing how much health i have before taking my next turn.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Having only played pokemon as a kid it confused me when other stuff happened while the bar went down in turn based. I personally like knowing how much health i have before taking my next turn.
Most other games had figured out how to give you that feedback instantly by 1991 or so.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:Having only played pokemon as a kid it confused me when other stuff happened while the bar went down in turn based. I personally like knowing how much health i have before taking my next turn.
Most other games had figured out how to give you that feedback instantly by 1991 or so.
And then there's earthbound if you're quick enough and end the battle fast enough even if you were gonna die you don't as your HP stops dropping when battle ends.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:
I think they should take away the bar altogether and use just the numbers... to go down/up all at the same exact moment.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Diamond and Pearl were known to be particularly slow games.

Some things could still use some improvement though. One thing I hate is that you have to wait through each and every Pokemon level up. This sucks when you take a low level Pokemon into a high level battle. When you do something like that, you will have to sit through all 20-30 or so level ups individually. I wish they could just expedite the process to the point where it says such and such Pokemon went from level 1 to level 30 in a single message. After that it could ask you which moves you would want to learn. Possibly they could even change the interface such that during sweeping level ups like this, you can select from a menu pool of moves that you want your Pokemon to have rather than choosing to forget or remember each move individually.

Gamefreak has become a little bit lazy and complacent, but they still make great games. I feel that sixth gen has actually improved upon a lot.