Official Pokémon Discussion Thread

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Re: Official Pokémon Disscussion Thread

Post by pdSlooper »

For Christmas I Wonder Traded out all my Legendaries and Shiny pokemon (at least the ones that can be...there's a surprising number of "this pokemon is special and can't be traded"). It took over an hour to get through them and made a lot of people happy. I got a lot of Skitties and Zigzagoons back, but my favorite was a Zubat named Sorry!.

Had a lot of fun, 10/10 would do again.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I remember one time I got a shiny Mewtwo off wonder trade. I don't care about shinies so I leveraged it to get a Moltres.

One of these days I guess I'll probably give away whatever legendaries I have too, but first I kind of want to try to actually catch them all and have each Pokemon (including pre-evos) in my boxes.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I got this for Christmas and haven't reached the first gym. I gotta catch every pokemon in every area before moving on it bugs me if i don't.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Slurmee wrote:I got this for Christmas and haven't reached the first gym. I gotta catch every pokemon in every area before moving on it bugs me if i don't.
Did you get Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or Pokemon X/Y?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:Diamond and Pearl were known to be particularly slow games.

Some things could still use some improvement though. One thing I hate is that you have to wait through each and every Pokemon level up. This sucks when you take a low level Pokemon into a high level battle. When you do something like that, you will have to sit through all 20-30 or so level ups individually. I wish they could just expedite the process to the point where it says such and such Pokemon went from level 1 to level 30 in a single message. After that it could ask you which moves you would want to learn. Possibly they could even change the interface such that during sweeping level ups like this, you can select from a menu pool of moves that you want your Pokemon to have rather than choosing to forget or remember each move individually.

Gamefreak has become a little bit lazy and complacent, but they still make great games. I feel that sixth gen has actually improved upon a lot.
That's another chore. I feel like Game Freak doesn't want you to miss any piece of information whatsoever and as a result they explain every detail to you. They really need to fix how moves are learned as well as how they're forgotten/relearned. First of all, less text all around. Second of all, TM/HM's should not be unforgettable without a move deletor person. Third, you shouldn't need a move tutor/deletor and should be able to edit your moves whenever you want to.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

They need to make HMs unforgettable, however, because otherwise a possibility arises that a player might become stranded with no way of escaping. It's a pain that you have to go to the move deleter, I guess, but it's a remedy for a much worse scenario. TMs are actually forgettable at any given point.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:They need to make HMs unforgettable, however, because otherwise a possibility arises that a player might become stranded with no way of escaping. It's a pain that you have to go to the move deleter, I guess, but it's a remedy for a much worse scenario. TMs are actually forgettable at any given point.
Couldn't you just teach whatever Pokemon you have on you the move when you need it? Or a better solution, get rid/rework HM's entirely since they're an artificial barrier made to make you feel like your Pokemon have a use outside of battle. Once you recieve an HM any Pokemon that can use it should be able to use it without taking up a move spot, just as a natural ability. You shouldn't be forced to train your Pokemon moves you don't want them to have, especially since there's more than 1 necessary HM. Make more items like the flute that allows you to soar without an HM if they need to.

They're also way too tedius to even use, it's really unnecessary to see a tiny generic action snippet of my Pokemon when I use HM's. It's kind of insult to injury, not only are they forcing me to use a move I don't like, they're forcing me to stop playing and watch a repititous sequence over and over. It's especially redundant when using rock smash on several rocks when the only animation necessary is the crumbling of the rocks.

It sounds like I'm complaing about little things, and I am, but those 4 seconds I'm forced to wait add up. Pokemon is still an enjoyable series but it's constantly hindered by so many silly gameplay decisions.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Or a better solution, get rid/rework HM's entirely since they're an artificial barrier made to make you feel like your Pokemon have a use outside of battle.
I like this better. I'd personally rather that they just get rid of HMs entirely and replace them with items that instantly activate. Instead of surfing on a Pokemon you should be able to just get on a raft or something. Instead of flying they should just bring back the eon flute but make it so that the interface on that is the way "fly" works in ORAS. Instead of cut you should be able to just burn obstacles or cut them down with some other item.

I don't like HMs either. I think they're a pointless relic from the original Pokemon games.
Couldn't you just teach whatever Pokemon you have on you the move when you need it?
Back in the old days, that would make sense, but now that you can trade via wifi the possibility still exists that you might delete an HM and then trade away a Pokemon that you would need to progress/back out of any given area. It's a small chance, but it's still possible. It's feasible that you could just trade somebody for a Pokemon with the needed HM learning capability over wifi again, but that would still be a pain.

I would rather they just get rid of the entire HM system as it is a greatly unneeded chore.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:
Or a better solution, get rid/rework HM's entirely since they're an artificial barrier made to make you feel like your Pokemon have a use outside of battle.
I like this better. I'd personally rather that they just get rid of HMs entirely and replace them with items that instantly activate. Instead of surfing on a Pokemon you should be able to just get on a raft or something. Instead of flying they should just bring back the eon flute but make it so that the interface on that is the way "fly" works in ORAS. Instead of cut you should be able to just burn obstacles or cut them down with some other item.

I don't like HMs either. I think they're a pointless relic from the original Pokemon games.
Couldn't you just teach whatever Pokemon you have on you the move when you need it?
Back in the old days, that would make sense, but now that you can trade via wifi the possibility still exists that you might delete an HM and then trade away a Pokemon that you would need to progress/back out of any given area. It's a small chance, but it's still possible. It's feasible that you could just trade somebody for a Pokemon with the needed HM learning capability over wifi again, but that would still be a pain.

I would rather they just get rid of the entire HM system as it is a greatly unneeded chore.
Couldn't you potentially trade away a Pokemon you`d need regardless of whether or not you could delete HM`s? :lol:

Glad you agree with me though, and it sounds like most of the userbase feels this way. Hopefully Game Freak takes note with the next generation.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Played Omega Ruby for a little bit again the other day. Nintendo was offering a shiney Rayquazza so I took the opportunity to grab that. I also just went through some of my StreetPasses, which unlocked new secret islands, and I ended up finding some new legendary Pokemon. I can't believe how many there are in this game, and how many there are in general! I'm still somewhat tempted to try and fill in my Pokedex for the Hoenn region, might be something to do while I continue to try to beat the Delta chapter. Maybe we could get some trades going?