Hearthstone

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Hearthstone

Post by VictorViper »

I finally took this for a spin the other day and I'm hooked! Kiwi has been playing since the beta, and I know Jelly and Kong have been curious, so I figured it would be nice to have a thread to discuss strategies, tips, and to set up matches.

Battle.net allows you to swap servers, but your progress doesn't carry over (you don't lose it), so I've decided to make progress on the European servers to better accommodate Kiwi's time investment. If anyone is looking to match up for friendly games, I'll suggest you choose the EU servers as your main server (not as appealing if you do plan to buy stuff).

The game has a free-to-play model, which means slow going for the penny pinchers, but so far it's been reasonably good with matchmaking and there haven't been too many incredibly overpowered opponents.

Anyway, if you want to play or talk about this awesome, snappy card battler, pop in and drop your battle.net handle! I'll keep them in this post for quick reference.

Battle.NET ID's

- VictorViper#1812
- KiwitheTorto#2909
- Jelly#2589
- Turai #2176
- KongWen#1923
- MerlinDrazz#2512
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Hearthstone

Post by Jelly »

Wow, this game is just as addictively well-crafted as one would expect from a Blizzard game. I won my first game against an enemy, big time! I then totally got my ass handed to me..

I also crafted my own deck now.. Very confusing.. I don't know what is good.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Hooray!
Attachments
Hearthstone_Screenshot_10.23.2014.15.49.49.png
Hearthstone_Screenshot_10.23.2014.15.49.49.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 825 times
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Some guy made this crazy trick. There was this unit with like 3 attack and 8 defense, he then used a thing so it got the same attack as defense, 8-8. He then somehow doubled the stats, then CLONED the unit. So he had TWO units with 16 attack and 16 defense!

I lost.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Jelly wrote:Some guy made this crazy trick. There was this unit with like 3 attack and 8 defense, he then used a thing so it got the same attack as defense, 8-8. He then somehow doubled the stats, then CLONED the unit. So he had TWO units with 16 attack and 16 defense!

I lost.
Common Priest tactics. Once almost one-shotted someone with a 28/28 Ysera this way.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:
Jelly wrote:Some guy made this crazy trick. There was this unit with like 3 attack and 8 defense, he then used a thing so it got the same attack as defense, 8-8. He then somehow doubled the stats, then CLONED the unit. So he had TWO units with 16 attack and 16 defense!

I lost.
Common Priest tactics. Once almost one-shotted someone with a 28/28 Ysera this way.
How do you combat it?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Kong Wen wrote:
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:

I lost.
How do you combat it?
Saving up some direct removal e.g. Sheep/Toad etc. or the classic silence, no deck should be without it. Usually it helps to pay attention to what the Priest plays, if it is high hp minions (Oasis Snapjaw 2/7; Mogu'shan Warden 1/7 Taunt; Lightwell 0/5) prepare yourself for such a tactic.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Thanks, I think I will add some silence owls to combat these kind of things.

I now have a priest and mage deck.

This game is bloody excellent on iPad. People that frown on iOS gaming should check out Hearthstone..
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

I suppose you don't have to pay real money for cards to compete, but it's kind of annoying when your deck starts out quite basic in comparison more advanced cards that can set of all kinds of interesting reactions between different card, as well as synergies. Some cards seem plain better than the basic ones, same summon cost and stats, but added extra effects.

I do well enough, I'm around 19-18 at the ranked play on my Priest deck.

A little warning, this game is deliberately crafted to be addictive. It has that: "Just one more game, I'm on a good winning streak!"-quality to it, or plain "I can't stop playing on a sour note like this, one more game!"
Last edited by Jelly on 25 Oct 2014 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:I suppose you don't have to pay real money for cards to compete, but it's kind of annoying when your deck starts out quite basic in comparison more advanced cards that can set of all kinds of interesting reactions between different card, as well as synergies. Some cards seem plain better than the basic ones, same summon cost and stats, but added extra effects.
Yes, that's exactly how the payment model works: it intrigues you with the better cards you can get and also plays on your impatience, so you feel like you don't need to buy them, but maybe you just want to drop a few bucks just to speed the process along. $$$.

Are there cards that are pay-exclusive, or do you have the chance to randomly get any single card just through regular play? It would be pretty sketchy if they held back some of the good cards for booster packs that you have to buy.

I'll try to get this game up and running sometime today.

[KongEdit: Moving thread to the Misc Gaming section as it's on PC & mobile.]
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming