Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Post by Spore »

Has anybody heard of this? Looks kind of fun. Available on Steam and PSN.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Post by Kong Wen »

Played. Went into the second stage of the cave's boss with two hearts. Died. Will try again tonight.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Beat it in a single session. Good thing it's meant to be played over and over (and is fun)!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The developer of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has teased a 3DS version of the game. If it's possible that this is something that's actually going to get released, that's exciting news for Nintendo-only folks who haven't been able to enjoy this game on other platforms yet. (It's also somewhat surprising news given Nintendo's intolerance for McMillen's style.)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Is anyone else playing this, or just me? What have some of your good runs been?

I just had my best run ever (6th try playing the game). I made it to the Depths II and died on some spikes. I had picked up an attack speed boost, 2-3 range boosts, a damage boost, and two speed boosts. I also had two little floating buddies, but I never figured out what they did.

This is definitely one of the hardest games I've ever played. I'm encouraged by how far I made it tonight, though! I'm sure I'll beat it eventually if I get some lucky items and fluke out enough not to get hit by the bosses.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I've been plugging away at it quietly. It's a nice game, but I'm still not clear about what the real hook is for the game's rabid fans. That said, I'm far from done with it and I'm enjoying myself, so don't let me come down too hard on it.

[EDIT]

I will add that some of the pickups are, for better or worse, absolutely ridiculous. Game breaking ridiculous. Having a totally overpowered/underpowered mutant Isaac can mean a LOT of different things and man, does it get weird. This is when the game is at its best.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I've been plugging away at it quietly. It's a nice game, but I'm still not clear about what the real hook is for the game's rabid fans.
This:
VictorViper wrote:I will add that some of the pickups are, for better or worse, absolutely ridiculous. Game breaking ridiculous. Having a totally overpowered/underpowered mutant Isaac can mean a LOT of different things and man, does it get weird. This is when the game is at its best.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:The developer of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has teased a 3DS version of the game. If it's possible that this is something that's actually going to get released, that's exciting news for Nintendo-only folks who haven't been able to enjoy this game on other platforms yet. (It's also somewhat surprising news given Nintendo's intolerance for McMillen's style.)
He's been teasing this game being released on the 3DS for the past number of months now; either it's coming soon or he made it work on the 3DS just to spite Nintendo for not allowing him to put it on the Wii back in the day. I'm pretty sure it's acceptable for the eShop now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:He's been teasing this game being released on the 3DS for the past number of months now; either it's coming soon or he made it work on the 3DS just to spite Nintendo for not allowing him to put it on the Wii back in the day. I'm pretty sure it's acceptable for the eShop now.
The Binding of Isaac came out in 2011, so I don't think it was ever going to be on the Wii. Nintendo did reject a 3DS port, though. Nicalis wasn't involved with the original version, so I don't think he has an ax to grind with Nintendo over that.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Binding of Isaac was and is a great game...but I haven't yet seen anything that has convinced me to pick up this remake. Especially as I still have plenty of content to find in the original.

Can anyone tell me anything about it that might sway me out of my apathy? I've little doubt that it's excellent but is it anything more than just a slightly prettier expansion?