Fire Emblem Awakening

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Fire Emblem Awakening

Post by The Shoemaker »

Is anyone still playing this game? I started playing an old file of mine a couple weeks back and I still love it. Just playing on Normal. I tried Lunatic mode but I found it to be a little cheap, I wish there was a difficulty somewhere inbetween Normal and Lunatic.

Anyways, this playthrough I managed to match all the parents together so I got to see new characters like Inigo, Gerome, Laurant and Brady all of which I never got my first time playing. I also put a little bit of thought into what skills I wanted to pass down and I made some pretty powerful characters because of it.

One example is my Owain who has the Ingis skill which adds 1.5 damage onto your attack, and he has a healing skill which heals 20% every turn.
My Inigio is great with Vantage (attack first when being attacked with low health), counter (whatever damage an adjacent enemy deals you deal back to them) and Sol (heal half the amount of damage you deal).

Almost done with my playthrough now but I expect to have some very overpowered units by the end :P
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: Fire Emblem Awakening

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:Is anyone still playing this game? I started playing an old file of mine a couple weeks back and I still love it. Just playing on Normal. I tried Lunatic mode but I found it to be a little cheap, I wish there was a difficulty somewhere inbetween Normal and Lunatic.
Haven't played it in a long time, but I think it's one of the best games in the series, thanks to its flexible difficulty and the feeling of Fire Emblem and strategy games to newcomers. DLC is a big standpoint of FEA as well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Is anyone still playing this game? I started playing an old file of mine a couple weeks back and I still love it. Just playing on Normal. I tried Lunatic mode but I found it to be a little cheap, I wish there was a difficulty somewhere inbetween Normal and Lunatic.
Haven't played it in a long time, but I think it's one of the best games in the series, thanks to its flexible difficulty and the feeling of Fire Emblem and strategy games to newcomers. DLC is a big standpoint of FEA as well.
I don't know what I would do without the EXP DLC map :lol: That's the only reason I was able to get everyone to level 15 for the great skills to give to their offspring. Very different from my Radiant Dawn playthroughs where I would decide right away who I wanted to use and completely shaft the leftover characters because EXP was so precious. I like both styles, Awakening's free grind and the traditional strategic usage of EXP, but I wonder if the new audience will be okay with a game that uses the later form.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

I had never before bothered with a FE game but I picked this up during a lull in release calendar and was pleasantly surprised. Really liked it and have since gone back and played older games in the series.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

squishy wrote:I had never before bothered with a FE game but I picked this up during a lull in release calendar and was pleasantly surprised. Really liked it and have since gone back and played older games in the series.
I'm glad you had the chance to discover such an excellent series! It's a shame the best entries are still so inaccessible (the GameCube and Wii sub-series).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Only game I have left to play now is the original GBA Fire Emblem which is now on the Wii U VC. After that we can only hope some of the other Japan only games get remade and sent over here!
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

Just about finished the first one off the GBA now and planning on Sacred Stones next. I was looking at the Wii and GameCube ones on eBay but man are they pricey!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I had mixed feelings about FE: A. Among other things, I'm not really a huge fan of the FE8 style of gameplay that allows you to free roam around the map. I still think the Gamecube Fire Emblem was the best in the series. Fire Emblem: Awakening was ok, but some things about it left me disappointed. The plot was kind of cheesy to me for one thing, except for one level of the game immediately following
Spoiler
Emmeryn going kersplat
. The balance of the game felt off to me as well.
Only game I have left to play now is the original GBA Fire Emblem which is now on the Wii U VC.
I have ridiculous nostalgia for that game. The characters are great in it, in my opinion. The game's biggest failing is the godawful support system. Everything else about it is solid.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I had mixed feelings about FE: A. Among other things, I'm not really a huge fan of the FE8 style of gameplay that allows you to free roam around the map. I still think the Gamecube Fire Emblem was the best in the series. Fire Emblem: Awakening was ok, but some things about it left me disappointed. The plot was kind of cheesy to me for one thing, except for one level of the game immediately following
Spoiler
Emmeryn going kersplat
. The balance of the game felt off to me as well.
Only game I have left to play now is the original GBA Fire Emblem which is now on the Wii U VC.
I have ridiculous nostalgia for that game. The characters are great in it, in my opinion. The game's biggest failing is the godawful support system. Everything else about it is solid.
I think the free roam aspect is definitely going to stay, I think that's something that appeals to many players. But with the next game I'd like to see an "arcade" mode of sorts, where you play the game in a linear fashion going chapter to chapter with no free grinding inbetween. I would also like a better difficulty setting, normal is a tad too easy and Lunatic is too hard in the beginning.

I enjoyed the story, though like you I felt it peaked at that moment you mentioned. The beginning of the game was full of beautiful cut scenes and the second half of the game had very few. I felt the characters were quite cheesy, but I really liked that. Support conversations were very well done and it was nice that even the more serious characters would get caught in funny situations.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

One problem I had with the game is that the villains felt weak and at times purposeless. Gangrel was an expy of Ashnard and even got the "Mad King" epithet. While he was entertaining comic relief, however, Gangrel never really felt like a serious threat to me. Walhart was an expy of Zephiel from FE6 but felt like he had no real importance in the overall plot. The chapters with him felt like filler even though the character and his subordinates were decent otherwise. The final boss was similar to Nergal and other FE games with AN ANCIENT EVIL subplot. Everything kind of felt like "been there, done that" to me. Many aspects of the plot felt undeveloped as well. For example, the kids of the main characters, although great as gameplay units, had practically no screentime or significance in the story. This was especially egregious for Morgan.

Since this game took a lot of inspiration from FE4, I hope that Intelligent Systems plans to remake that game and localize it. I think they can do a lot with it.