Street Fighter V

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Street Fighter V

Post by Kong Wen »

A trailer for Street Fighter V was leaked online this morning. It looks very similar to SF4, with somewhat more detail and fluid motion. Obviously, looks aren't the only thing, and the mechanics, combos, etc. will have to be revealed before we can make any judgments about it.

The most surprising revelation is that it claims to be exclusive to PS4 and PC. I don't think that'll hold up. Xbox One isn't a major player in Japan, but they'd be crazy to leave the North American fans wanting. This exclusivity could last for a year, or until the first expansion comes out.

Cue the "Super Street Fighter V Ultra Turbo: Arcade Championship Edition" comments.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Street Fighter V

Post by VictorViper »

Day one purchase, add the cost of a stick... damn it. 2015 is getting pricey.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

This just confirms what tons of people were expecting the Capcom Cup announcement to be. The trailer didn't show very much as its obviously in early development phase, possibly years away. This seems to put the nail in the coffin for any major SF4 future releases. I didn't expect there to be anymore, but this sort of removes any remaining hope. I'll wait until there's more information about the game to react any further, except to say that I'm curious what new mechanics Capcom will introduce, and that I'm not going to have expectations about the game being as good as 4, especially at first. I also hope this game will have a long life like Street Fighter 4. I'm in the minority on this but I wish fighting games had longer support, like say 9-10 years(SF4 has had about 6 1/2 years). Hopefully soon we'll at least see some more characters soon, like Dhalsim or Necro. ;) In any case I'll be an interested spectator.

Like Jogurt says, it will be interesting to see if the exclusivity holds up. I imagine Sony must have spent a large amount of money for this arrangement. The game being an exclusive could actually be a good thing because it would disallow a splitting of the user base. Even if there are later XBone releases, chances are the majority of the community will be PS4 players now, unlike with Street Fighter 4 where the Microsoft console had more and better players.
Kong Wen wrote:It looks very similar to SF4, with somewhat more detail and fluid motion.
It may be entirely due to the particular stage, but the lighting looks rather dark compared to most stages in Street Fighter 4 and the overall look it has is different from anything in Street Fighter 4. SF4 had a few dark stages, but they looked quite different from this one. It reminds me slightly of a stage in Blazblue actually, although not as appealing to look at. I'd like to see more of the game in motion.
Kong Wen wrote:The most surprising revelation is that it claims to be exclusive to PS4 and PC. I don't think that'll hold up. Xbox One isn't a major player in Japan, but they'd be crazy to leave the North American fans wanting. This exclusivity could last for a year, or until the first expansion comes out.
Yeah, Street Fighter is too big a series for Capcom to focus on the Japanese market. With SF4, Xbox Live was the go-to place for players, and even in Japan most of the top players were 360 owners. But a lot of casual players there played on PSN, plus there were plenty of great arcade players who did not own 360s. The trouble is that the PS4 hasn't sold very much either so far. So it's a possibility that the Japanese market will be more marginal for Street Fighter 5 than 4. I assume there will still be arcade releases there with all of the location tests and the like.
VictorViper wrote:Day one purchase, add the cost of a stick... damn it. 2015 is getting pricey.
I don't think a release date of 2015 has been indicated anywhere, unless I missed it. So you might have to wait for longer than that.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

At PSX today, they said "PS4 will be the only console Street Fighter V ever appears on." They can still get around this by releasing Super Street Fighter V or whatever on other consoles.

Another huge announcement—Street Fighter V will have cross-platform play between PS4 and PC.

EDIT: PSB has posted additional info and footage.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Yeah, having seen the gameplay video I think this early game footage is ugly. What it actually looks a lot like is Street Fighter x Tekken. The background is busy, but not terribly interesting stylistically(it's not terrible but on the whole it doesn't look great). If there was an adjective that meant exactly the opposite of "iconic" that would be the one I would use to describe the look. The use of color just doesn't appeal to me in the "city" part of the stage. Particularly so when compared with the rather simple use of color in the characters, red and whites for Ryu and blue for Chun Li, they almost look out of place compared to the background which is busy with all the different lightings and details and colors. Incidentally after Ryu is knocked through the wall and the view is changed to inside of a room, there's a lot of emphasis a red color with some less garish yellows, the game looks a heck of a lot better.

The game seems to want to be trying to look a bit more "grittier" but just like Street Fighter x Tekken(except worse here because they're trying harder thanks to the greater graphical power) it fails with all the colorful costumes and such and just looks bad. Some of the animations here that are supposed to add more emphasis to attacks(failing in my view, though that's mostly because of the terrible sound effects that accompany them) look almost like they were taken out of SFxT. Speaking of the sounds effects, they are dreadfully similar to those in SFxT, those same "chhh" and "thh" sounds that sound like air or something. It's about as powerful sounding as opening a zip lock bag.

The lighting is similar to Street Fighter x Tekken as well, again it's like a more "gritty" version of SF4 and looks like shit. Just look at the main menu in SFxT or the character select screen, it's virtually the exact same look. The lighting also wants to look dark with out actually obscuring anything(because you have to show off all the fine details), so no appealing looking shadows or anything. It's a big contrast with the dark Street Fighter 4 stages, see here, here, and here for comparison. Like I said earlier it's sort of like the look in the Blazblue stage I posted, except since it's trying to look "gritty" there's not an appealing dominant green color that's used tastefully, nor any of the objects littered through the stage particularly nice to look at(all this unlike the Blazblue stage which looks great). Instead you just get a mess of ugliness, a bunch of details to distract you.

The outlines around characters and everything are also an overdone version of what was in SF4, again just like SFxT which was garish in that regard. The "ink" around the characters, which looked so nice in SF4 because it was more subtle, is overdone here and worse since the game is already has so much other nonsense going on the effect produced in the last version is lost. They even felt compelled in the original video to first show the logo in a darkened lighting with less bright colors and it looks hideous. Naturally to add to the hideousness you have plenty of unnecessary particles in the game footage because this is next gen after all.

Hopefully the released version tones down a lot of this shit. Emphasize color over detail more, or cut down on some of the animations, or get rid of most of the particles, just something to make this look less like an ugly mess of various things going on.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

They just had an exhibition of Street Fighter 5 at Capcom Cup, showing a match between Ryu and Chun Li. The game itself didn't look any different but this is the first actual match shown. I'm sure footage will appear on Youtube soon. The game featured both a revenge bar and an EX bar, just like Street Fighter 4, although some characters have more EX bars than others apparently. There seemed to be some sort of counters in the game, as also appeared to be the case in the original trailer. There were also some contextual things going on in the stage, like Chun Li got knocked into a table and a bowl of noodles fell on her head, which remained on for much of the match.

Also a slightly updated version of one of the trailers was shown, which at the end featured a blonde dude picking up a pair of glasses. Ono came out on stage dressed up as Charlie. Also this was posted earlier. The implication is that Charlie will be in Street Fighter 5. He has some sort of beam or gem on his forehead, not sure what that is. People are speculating it may mean Charlie(who died in Alpha 3) is being resurrected as an evil character, noting that the boss of SF3 Gill and his brother Urien who is another playable character have a similar looking object on their forehead. Not too exciting to me as I think say Remy from Third Strike has a more interesting fighting style as far as Guile-like characters go, with the high low sonic boom game.

The trailer is viewable at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-IUE6WlAo

Ono also announced that the Sony partnership means next year's Capcom Cup will apparently have a total of $500,000 in tournament prize money, which is an unprecedented amount for competitive fighting games. Also Ono said that Capcom are paying attention to people's speculations about the game's mechanics like guard crush for example and made promises about how you can expect characters to be more unique than ever.

EDIT: Footage of the match is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdnJQZ ... lwJpyTHOmQ
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 14 Dec 2014 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

VictorViper wrote:Day one purchase, add the cost of a stick... damn it. 2015 is getting pricey.
And I thought 2014 was pricey enough.

Finally we go to the actual fifth game in the Street Fighter series, after all those entries in the fourth... it felt like an eternity at number! :P
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Not nearly long enough. I'm with Nads in wanting (if not expecting) a solid 10-year lifespan from my main-series fighters. So far this looks to be a subtle evolution of IV as opposed to a new entry in the series. That's a problem. Thankfully, Capcom pays careful attention to community input, so I have no doubt it'll be a nice game, but it's hard to imagine it'll have the kind of "holy crap" factor that IV had when it released.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

kitroplious wrote: Finally we go to the actual fifth game in the Street Fighter series, after all those entries in the fourth... it felt like an eternity at number! :P
If it was up to me I'd have Capcom still working on more versions of SF4 instead of this new game. ;)
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

Finally a game to be psyched for!

2013 and 2014 was rather dull years but this! THIS!

Charlie is back!

And the game looks gorgeus considering it's an super early build.