The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Jordan

Re: The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Post by Jordan »

I agree fully with Slurmee that the Wii U is a lot like the old Nintendo Gamecube, or even Sega Dreamcast. I think it will be remembered well while simultaneously having eluded commercial success.

I think the new Legend of Zelda is going to be unlike any previous Zelda game. It probably will be closest to Ocarina of Time, but still a lot different from that as well. It looks like they've fully embraced non-linearity in a way that resembles Xenoblade X or Skyrim (the claimed inspiration) rather than Zelda. I think it will be a lot less about puzzle solving (though that will still exist) and a lot more about exploration. Honestly, I kind of dig that. I had no real interest in "Zelda Wii U" before E3, but Nintendo ended up delivering something wholly unexpected and potentially great. I'm still on the fence about getting it, particularly as I've been reticent to get back into console gaming in general. However, I might cave in to peer pressure if I see a lot of other people I know having fun with it. Every now and then if I see a tidal wave of enthusiasm for a game, I get swept up.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I agree fully with Slurmee that the Wii U is a lot like the old Nintendo Gamecube, or even Sega Dreamcast. I think it will be remembered well while simultaneously having eluded commercial success.

I think the new Legend of Zelda is going to be unlike any previous Zelda game. It probably will be closest to Ocarina of Time, but still a lot different from that as well. It looks like they've fully embraced non-linearity in a way that resembles Xenoblade X or Skyrim (the claimed inspiration) rather than Zelda. I think it will be a lot less about puzzle solving (though that will still exist) and a lot more about exploration. Honestly, I kind of dig that. I had no real interest in "Zelda Wii U" before E3, but Nintendo ended up delivering something wholly unexpected and potentially great. I'm still on the fence about getting it, particularly as I've been reticent to get back into console gaming in general. However, I might cave in to peer pressure if I see a lot of other people I know having fun with it. Every now and then if I see a tidal wave of enthusiasm for a game, I get swept up.
I mean, since you have a Wii U now, you may as well ;)

Just looking at the initial trailer (or even the title of the game) it's clear exploration is key. Instead of focusing on story or high action events, they started with mellow piano keys, wild animals grazing, scoping vistas and gathering materials. Usually the title of a Zelda game is based off a key story aspect, but this time it seems to be about the world itself.

I think it will feel a lot different from other open world games as well, because the key component is exploring. Rather than exploring alternatively to the main objective, the main objective will be exploring.

Puzzling solving will be pretty interesting this time around. Sounds like we will have less dungeons than usual (according to rumors), but an abundance of smaller shrine challenges that will make up a lot of the exploring. In terms of game progression, you'll have to do the first four shrines on the Great Plateau before gaining the para glider and leaving the plateau, which means the rest of the game will rely on the 10 abilities you have by the end of the Plateau (5 rune abilities plus glider, sword, bow, shield, climb). Will be interesting to see what other abilities the game will give you and how they will be useful in the rest of the world.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I'm planning to keep my Wii U pre-order for this because I don't trust NX yet. Maybe if they show something that indicates NX would be a better way to play this, I'd switch, but in the absence of information, I'm obviously not convinced. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'm waiting until reviews come out to see if the NX version is worth waiting a year or two while I wait for the NX lineup to get better and price to drop or if the Wii u version will fit my needs. It's hard to know anything right now considering nintendos been so hush hush about the NX
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:I'm waiting until reviews come out to see if the NX version is worth waiting a year or two while I wait for the NX lineup to get better and price to drop or if the Wii u version will fit my needs. It's hard to know anything right now considering nintendos been so hush hush about the NX
Do you think the quality of the NX version would really make you wait 2 years to play the game? I'm thinking the versions will be pretty similar, if NX rumors are anything to go off of.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Slurmee wrote:I'm waiting until reviews come out to see if the NX version is worth waiting a year or two while I wait for the NX lineup to get better and price to drop or if the Wii u version will fit my needs. It's hard to know anything right now considering nintendos been so hush hush about the NX
Do you think the quality of the NX version would really make you wait 2 years to play the game? I'm thinking the versions will be pretty similar, if NX rumors are anything to go off of.
It's not a multiplayer game so playing it at launch or not really isn't a huge deal to me. I have a huge backlog anyway.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:I'm planning to keep my Wii U pre-order for this because I don't trust NX yet. Maybe if they show something that indicates NX would be a better way to play this, I'd switch, but in the absence of information, I'm obviously not convinced. :)
Could be just like TP. You could play in on the gamecube in a way that was familiar, or risk it on the Wii and end up wagglin.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I'm planning to keep my Wii U pre-order for this because I don't trust NX yet. Maybe if they show something that indicates NX would be a better way to play this, I'd switch, but in the absence of information, I'm obviously not convinced. :)
Could be just like TP. You could play in on the gamecube in a way that was familiar, or risk it on the Wii and end up wagglin.
I wonder what NX's equivalent of waggling will be :lol:
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

That is a fantastic question! Taking it out in public to do the mask trading sidequest?

Plugging in the vitality sensor?? :lol:
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Data mining the Nintendo of Europe website shows that the Zelda BOTW Amiibo might be launching on March 4th, which would also be the launch date for this game as well as NX.