Mario Maker

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Mario Maker

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:it could be fun if there is an option to share levels.
If there's no an option to share levels online with your friends, then there's no reason for this game to even exist. That's not to say I don't think Nintendo is capable of making this mistake, but it does mean you should be heartened to at least expect that feature.

I think I'm going to remake several of the original Super Mario Bros. levels but with a handful of surprise twists thrown in, like a pit being one block wider than it normally is, or power-ups hidden in different places.
They haven't mentioned what they'll be doing, but at E3 they said something along the lines of "there's no way to share levels right now, but that's something we'll have to figure out". They've allowed sharing of levels in all of their games that had level creation (on a system that had WIFI capabilities) as far as I'm aware.

I bet within a couple days users will have uploaded the entirety of SMB and possibly even the other games. Hopefully they allow you to edit levels you download from others because in that case you could just get the template and edit from there. I like that idea though; test your muscle memory.
Kreegs wrote:This whole game reminds of back in middle school when I used to have Super Mario on my TI-83+ graphing calculator. I also had a program that let you design Mario levels! It was actually pretty meaty despite being on a graphing calculator! I made some pretty cool levels.
I think we've all made our own levels at some point, wether through an application, on paper or imagination :D
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Looks like we might be able to make our own "worlds".

Looks like you can organize games into worlds, and even possibly press the 'play' button to play all the levels at once. We'll see if we can share entire worlds too!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just watched the final of the Nintendo World US Championship where 4 levels created with Mario Maker were played. They created some crazy levels where some precise/timed jumping was needed to get through. Don't think I could create such levels, but still the possibilities looked great. Anyone else seen these levels?
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just watched the final of the Nintendo World US Championship where 4 levels created with Mario Maker were played. They created some crazy levels where some precise/timed jumping was needed to get through. Don't think I could create such levels, but still the possibilities looked great. Anyone else seen these levels?
I think the great thing about the game is that the creation tool looks so simple that I don't think it would be too hard to make stages like those, unlike level creators like Little Big Planet where there's a lot more investment from the creator needed to make something that looks and plays well.

Some really wacky things in the videos though, like triple stacked Bowser? That's hilarious :lol:

I heard the game will be full retail price though, which would be disappointing if true. Looks great, but $70 is a lot for a creation tool.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I'm amazed that it's taken Nintendo so long to embrace the fact that people have been doing this the hard way for decades!
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Looking forward to this greatly. Got a good laugh during one of today's Treehouse demonstrations when Cheep Cheeps were engulfed with flames due to fire in a fortress.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah the game looks hilarious. Pre-ordered on Amazon and saved $22. I loved making levels in Mario vs. DK but always wanted to make full Mario levels.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

You guys, you can add your own sound effects now and fireworks!

I imagine we'll see a lot of cool music levels like the one seen around 2:50
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Hmm... the concerning thing for me starts around the 1:30 mark of that video. "New course elements unlocked!"

It sounds like we need to unlock tiles, enemies, etc. by making courses and playing the game. For a game like this, I don't usually like having my creative options hampered. This'll force us to sink time into designing bare-bones levels for a while before we can really start creating what we want.

It's not the end of the world, but it could be kind of a nuisance if you're going in with a certain vision and you just have to jump around on Goombas and red brick tiles for a while.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:Hmm... the concerning thing for me starts around the 1:30 mark of that video. "New course elements unlocked!"

It sounds like we need to unlock tiles, enemies, etc. by making courses and playing the game. For a game like this, I don't usually like having my creative options hampered. This'll force us to sink time into designing bare-bones levels for a while before we can really start creating what we want.

It's not the end of the world, but it could be kind of a nuisance if you're going in with a certain vision and you just have to jump around on Goombas and red brick tiles for a while.
I agree, sounds like they didn't want to overwhelm people, and figured giving new elements each day would encourage people to keep playing, but I'd rather get right into the meat of the game. It only takes 9 days, so maybe we can cheat it by changing the Wii U's internal clock?