Retro Gaming Club

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Retro Gaming Club

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Now that we have a nice new forum I just wanted to gauge the interest in a retro themed rebirth of the old gaming club (be it monthly or otherwise) that we used to partake in years gone by over at VCF.

With Steam, GOG and other digital distribution services now offering retro games at prices cheaper than the average lollipop, it has never been cheaper to delve into old retro games while eating lollipops.

For those that remember it, our old gaming club was fairly popular but was often hampered by the inflated cost and increasing age of what was then our system of choice. This should not be an issue with PC/Mac.

The specs of retro gaming should ensure almost anyone can join but I also feel it could be a nice companion to the forthcoming BGE in terms of journeying through classics.

Thoughts?
Turai
Aspirant

Re: Retro Gaming Club

Post by Turai »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
With Steam, GOG and other digital distribution services now offering retro games at prices cheaper than the average lollipop, it has never been cheaper to delve into old retro games while eating lollipops.
You're lollipops must be very expensive (for being a lollipop).

Anyways, I'm in.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Great idea, I'm interested but not automatically in for all games (I know that was not the general idea of the gaming club). When the club features an interesting game and I have the time to play it, I'll be happy to join in.
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Same here. Count me in whenever a game is also available on any of my chosen platforms. This may become easier, if the Steam Machines turn out to be a worthwhile investment.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Great idea, I'm interested but not automatically in for all games (I know that was not the general idea of the gaming club). When the club features an interesting game and I have the time to play it, I'll be happy to join in.
Ditto.

I also think we should not count out the Virtual Console, especially since many of us come from the eponymous forum. Maxing at 10 bucks, it's really pretty cheap too (although certainly it doesn't reach quite the pocket-change levels that Steam/GOG do). But then, sticking with the PC route might be interesting too, as there are far more PC classics I'm unfamiliar with than console. Anyway, what I'm saying is consider me interested!
You got BOOST power!
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

VictorViper wrote:Same here. Count me in whenever a game is also available on any of my chosen platforms. This may become easier, if the Steam Machines turn out to be a worthwhile investment.
You could just install SteamOS on any computer (with decent enough speccs) to turn it into a "Steam Machine".
...When that functionality actually works as intended that is..early beta is early.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

THIS IS SCREAMING EARTHBOUND RIGHT ABOUT NOW
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Turai wrote:You could just install SteamOS on any computer (with decent enough speccs) to turn it into a "Steam Machine".
...When that functionality actually works as intended that is..early beta is early.
Nope. I game on dedicated machines.

Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

VictorViper wrote:
Turai wrote:You could just install SteamOS on any computer (with decent enough speccs) to turn it into a "Steam Machine".
Nope. I game on dedicated machines.
It will end up being the EXACT same thing as a steam machine though, a PC for gaming :p.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

We have a well aged MacBook that's used for work and make purposes. I play on boxes I can throw behind the TV and never look at again. It's a hard rule.