Forum Testing & Suggestions

Includes Forum Rules, major announcements, and important community votes. Post bug reports, feedback, and suggestions.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Forum Testing & Suggestions

Post by Kong Wen »

On the main/front page of the forum, in the last post column, the thread name link will take you to the first unread post. That's only useful for that one thread that shows up on the front page for each section. As far as I know, there isn't a similar button/link within each forum section.

You can also use the "View unread posts" and "View new posts" links at the top of the main/front page. They're a really good way of isolating new content forum-wide. That's mainly how I read the forum.

EDIT: Pluvius was right! There's a little icon that only shows up if there are new posts (which is why I wasn't seeing it when I looked:

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

There's a little button in the exact same place as it was before, to the left of the thread title. Not sure why you're not seeing it.

Incidentally, the Thing I Most Hate about the new forum is that I can't mark a forum read by double-clicking on the big icon to the left of it.

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:Incidentally, the Thing I Most Hate about the new forum is that I can't mark a forum read by double-clicking on the big icon to the left of it.
If you go into a subforum, there's a "mark topics read" link where the "mark all forums read" link usually appears on the main page. This will mark everything in that subforum read. It's not as good as double-clicking from the front page, though, so I'll try to see if there's something I can do about that!
Sinnthro

Post by Sinnthro »

Pluvius wrote:There's a little button in the exact same place as it was before, to the left of the thread title. Not sure why you're not seeing it.
Huh, that's weird, I could swear to you it wasn't there before. Good to know this feature's here as well!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Huh, didn't even know about that feature on the old forum, I will make sure to use it now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Re: Forum Testing & Suggestions:Subscribed Threads

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Back on the VC Forums we used to able to go the User Control Panel (User CP) & easily check there for threads with new replies or what not.
Say if 7 of the threads that I'm subscribed to has new replies & Can quickly & easily see.
Here all we really got is email notifications & I tend to find that a tad awkward & counter intuitive.
I wonder if something similar can be set up here or what not?

P.S. Kong Wen.
Any reason that you chose phpBB over the VBullitin software that e most used to?
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kawaiipikachu wrote:Back on the VC Forums we used to able to go the User Control Panel (User CP) & easily check there for threads with new replies or what not.
Say if 7 of the threads that I'm subscribed to has new replies & Can quickly & easily see.
Here all we really got is email notifications & I tend to find that a tad awkward & counter intuitive.
It's not 100% clear to me what you're trying to do. You can go to "Manage Subscriptions" in your User CP and see new posts in any of the threads you're subscribed to. You can also use the "View new" links at the top of the main page to see new posts across the whole forum.
kawaiipikachu wrote:Any reason that you chose phpBB over the VBullitin software that e most used to?
Yeah, about 250 American reasons. :)
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Could you activate the forum feed in ACP? New posts will show up in a RSS feed that can be bookmarked. See: http://phpbbfaq.org/site/rss-feeds/
Grt. Merlin

A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Is there a way to post polls here?
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote:
kawaiipikachu wrote:Back on the VC Forums we used to able to go the User Control Panel (User CP) & easily check there for threads with new replies or what not.
It's not 100% clear to me what you're trying to do. You can go to "Manage Subscriptions" in your User CP and see new posts in any of the threads you're subscribed to. You can also use the "View new" links at the top of the main page to see new posts across the whole forum.
If you don't want the mail notification of subscribed threads, you can choose to bookmark them instead. Bookmarks are also in the UCP at "Manage Bookmarks".
Grt. Merlin