Codename Steam

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Codename Steam

Post by Kong Wen »

I didn't realize this was an Intelligent Systems game until the day before it came out. I was briefly tempted, but the game just looks awful. I'm not talking about the mechanics or anything, just the overall look & feel. They're trying to pitch some Fire Emblem characters as a selling point, but you need to spend money on toys to be able to access them, so I can't say that does much to persuade me.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

It actually looks better live than in videos and the overall style is like a comic book. I'm actually quite enjoying it.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah I can see people not liking the style, but in motion it works with the comic book style I think. Personally I barely even notice the style while playing since you're always looking at your characters back during gameplay. The demo is a good representation of the game, though it gets much better once you get a full team.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

The impression I'm getting from the demo is that the game is a poor man's Xcom or Valkyria Chronicles
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

link64 wrote:The impression I'm getting from the demo is that the game is a poor man's Xcom or Valkyria Chronicles
That's a shame, but what I've read seems to indicate that might be the case. The VC games were great. I guess Nintendo needs some time before they can make something as good in quality. To be fair, VC did have a pedigree behind it. The gameplay was based on Sakura Wars, which did not have nearly as good a battle system. If this doesn't bomb, maybe Nintendo can fix the problems I've read about Codename S.T.E.A.M. (long enemy turns, lack of a map, etc.) with a sequel.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:
link64 wrote:The impression I'm getting from the demo is that the game is a poor man's Xcom or Valkyria Chronicles
That's a shame, but what I've read seems to indicate that might be the case. The VC games were great. I guess Nintendo needs some time before they can make something as good in quality. To be fair, VC did have a pedigree behind it. The gameplay was based on Sakura Wars, which did not have nearly as good a battle system. If this doesn't bomb, maybe Nintendo can fix the problems I've read about Codename S.T.E.A.M. (long enemy turns, lack of a map, etc.) with a sequel.
I think the game could benefit from more statistics like seeing how far an enemy can move and whether they're on overwatch or not, but having a map would definitely take away from the game. It's like the debate about adding a health bar to Monster Hunter. Obviously it would make it easier if you could see if the monster is close to dying, but there are already subtle methods put in place for you to see that. There's something to be said about leaving it up to the player to figure things out for themselves.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

There was a new update this week that fixed one major problem that a lot of people had with the game: that the alien side's turn took so long to wait through. You can now fast forward through their turn.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Probably too little too late to save the game sales (or the reviews), but definitely appreicated for those who are still playing or jus getting into the game.

2X faster on regular 3DS's, 3X faster on New 3DS's.
PoisonRamune
Chatbox Gargoyle
Chatbox Gargoyle

Post by PoisonRamune »

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

PoisonRamune wrote:$16 Codename STEAM at Gamestop

Just sayin'
Game goes for the $12-20 range in a lot of places lately :?

I'm telling you guys, stellar game.