Codename Steam

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Codename Steam

Post by The Shoemaker »

There's a demo for the game on both the NA and EU eShop, everyone should definitely check it out.

I definitely like the structure of the gameplay. It's developed by intelligent Systems - ie the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars guys and gals. I've only worked my way through 4 missions but what I see is promising. It seems like a game that can be played very differently depending on the type of player, from being stealthy to acting aggressive and even speed running.

I hear it's comparable to Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM, with the main difference being that you don't have an overhead map. While that may sound like a burden, it puts an interesting twist on how you approach each map. Rather than knowning the exact position of each enemy, you're stuck having to figure out where they all are and using different character perspectives to see different parts of the map. It's interesting on the enemies turn because you can only see where they move if they're actually in your line of sight. So one of your responibilities during your turn is not only to advance and attack, but set yourself up for the enemies turn so that you have optimal viewing angles.

I have the game pre-ordered already, any other thoughts from you guys?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Re: Codename Steam

Post by squishy »

I was very undecided on this until I played the demo. The quality on display already made me go out and pre-order it. Add in Fire Emblem amiibo capability and it became obvious it was worth getting
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

squishy wrote:I was very undecided on this until I played the demo. The quality on display already made me go out and pre-order it. Add in Fire Emblem amiibo capability and it became obvious it was worth getting
That's good to hear! Hopefully we'll be able to find Fire Emblem Amiibos :lol:

I pre-order when I found out you get a silver Majora's Mask pin from GameStop, but I never heard anything about it when I pre-ordered from EB Games so we'll see if it's applicable to Canada.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

Yes the pin will be in Canada. My local EB manager asked if I had heard of the deal and wanted to pre-order
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

squishy wrote:Yes the pin will be in Canada. My local EB manager asked if I had heard of the deal and wanted to pre-order
Awesome, good to hear.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The Valkyria Chronicles series is one of my favorites. I'm interested in Codename Steam, but I'll wait until I hear more about it after its release. I'm not a fan of demos.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:The Valkyria Chronicles series is one of my favorites. I'm interested in Codename Steam, but I'll wait until I hear more about it after its release. I'm not a fan of demos.
Not a fan of demos in general? I suppose that's valid, demo's can often be pretty hit or miss. The recent Omega Ruby demo really wasn't a good showing of what the game is like, and the previous MH3U demo really didn't help out new players.

Codename Steam demo is pretty decent though since it shows you the first 5 missions of the game in sequence.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm pretty sure I will like Codename Steam anyways. When I first saw gameplay of it, it immediately reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles. It will have a lot to live up to in order to be as good as VC, but I think Intelligent Systems can do it. I generally have faith in them despite a few disappointments here and there.

I'm going to wait awhile anyways. I lately tend to wait a bit on getting new games because of how often a new game is released in a buggy state. Additionally, I just kind of like waiting to hear what other people, both fans and the press, have to say about games before I get invested.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I'm pretty sure I will like Codename Steam anyways. When I first saw gameplay of it, it immediately reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles. It will have a lot to live up to in order to be as good as VC, but I think Intelligent Systems can do it. I generally have faith in them despite a few disappointments here and there.

I'm going to wait awhile anyways. I lately tend to wait a bit on getting new games because of how often a new game is released in a buggy state. Additionally, I just kind of like waiting to hear what other people, both fans and the press, have to say about games before I get invested.
That's cool then, I'll let you know how it is! ;)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Game has gotten quite mediocre reviews, but I'm liking it quite a bit so far. Once all the tactics sink in you really feel the depth to the game. It's an interesting change to the strategy game forumla as it has more of a stealth vibe to it. Learning to position your units so you can see better, peeking around corners to see if there are any enemies, really satisfying experience when your plan goes through. It's definitely a tough game though, need to consider a lot of options.

I also like how every map has many different ways of approaching it. One involved me blowing up a wall on the first floor from the second so one of my guys could move forward down there and take out the enemies from behind that were blocking me from above. These kind of experiences make me want to play the levels over again to beat it as fast and as efficently as possible.