Game of Thrones Telltale Series

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Game of Thrones Telltale Series

Post by The Shoemaker »

Today I made a Steam account and downloaded my first game - Game of Thrones! I've played very little of the Telltale games but I have enjoyed what I've seen. I'm liking the story in the game so far, I think it picks up at a very interesting and important part of the show. My girlfriend and I are big fans of Ice and Fire so we're excited to see where this goes.

First thing I noticed though is that my laptop is not suited all too well for PC gaming. The framerate is a little choppy all throughout and it's a real challenge to properly play the game using a touchpad :P The character looks very silly when I control him with my arrow keys as well, but I don't mind too much, it adds to the challenge! ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Game of Thrones Telltale Series

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Brave to play it via touchpad. But then again, especially the action scenes are somewhat wonky to play anyway and the least fun part about it.
Two Episodes in, I really like it so far. It manages to keep up a good pacing and manages to make every scene (King's Landing especially) feel tense.

Which Telltale games did you play before? Did you ever touch e.g. Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us which use the same basic gameplay?
Btw. join the TONe group on Steam, you will find most of us there if you intend to join the steam-users.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:Brave to play it via touchpad. But then again, especially the action scenes are somewhat wonky to play anyway and the least fun part about it.
Two Episodes in, I really like it so far. It manages to keep up a good pacing and manages to make every scene (King's Landing especially) feel tense.

Which Telltale games did you play before? Did you ever touch e.g. Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us which use the same basic gameplay?
Btw. join the TONe group on Steam, you will find most of us there if you intend to join the steam-users.
It's really tough trying to pick the right anwser using a touchpad, never mind complex action segments, but again, it makes the game even more tense :p I briefly played both those games at a friends place and I've played Heavy Rain which seems to play very similarily. Based on the preformance I'm getting out of this game I doubt I'll continue to play games off Steam unless it's something simplier like Shovel Knight, which I would expect to run without any problems.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:Brave to play it via touchpad. But then again, especially the action scenes are somewhat wonky to play anyway and the least fun part about it.

Did you end up playing the rest of the episodes Kiwi?

I'm still on episode 1 - I restart because my save was gone for some reason. All good. I've experienced the three protagonists now. It's interesting that the second two protagonists you're introdouced to really remind me of Bran and Sansa's stories respectively. Will have to play more!
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

I played up to Episode 5.
The final one isn't out yet.
I enjoyed it quite a lot so far. Especially the Mira-parts feel like a dance on a volcanoe.
Generally, the first episode is rathe tame compared to the tension in the later episodes.
It really fits nicely into the TV-shows canon.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I played up to Episode 5.
The final one isn't out yet.
I enjoyed it quite a lot so far. Especially the Mira-parts feel like a dance on a volcanoe.
Generally, the first episode is rathe tame compared to the tension in the later episodes.
It really fits nicely into the TV-shows canon.
Good to hear! My friends have been playing it as well and they've really enjoyed it. One of them even likes it more than the TV show!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

So I've played up to the end of Episode 4 now, switched over to playing it on PS4 when the season was on sale for $5. The game is very tense, especially the King's Landing sections. Enjoying all the storylines so far, excited to finish so I can stop feeling so stressed :lol:
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

This is a story based quick action event game right? Like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:This is a story based quick action event game right? Like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?
Yes, pretty similar to those games. Heavy Rain was great.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

I hated Heavy Rain
I like these Telltale games. It's largely due to feedback (giving you immediate reactions e.g. "XY will remember that"), hardly any mock decisions without effect (Heavy Rain bombards you with those) and especially structure (episodes with their individual climax, giving you a MUCH better pace).

In total, I didn't like GoT all that much. It was ok but felt longer than needed and, my main issue, inconclusive. Not getting the feeling as I just finished a story at all. Though I liked the King's Landing segments, which are a permanent dance on the volcanoe. I played those in a very specific way and I was happy that the game let me conclude those as I hoped.

In general though: The Wolf Among Us was better than GoT.