Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Post by The Shoemaker »

The hunt is on!

The newest entry in the Monster Hunter series just came out and it's time we had a discussion about it. I don't think there are too many fans of the series here but I know there are a couple. Let's discuss all the nitty gritty details of the game here, as well as arrange for online hunts.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Post by The Shoemaker »

In case anyone is interested, I'm thinking of playing online tonight around 10pm central time and I'll probably be playing till midnight. I also wouldn't mind getting a weekly thing going. I have 4 other friends playing the game and I was hoping to maybe get together every Thursday night or something. I doubt all of them will be able to make it every Thursday (or any of them on some weeks) so maybe we could combine some hunts here.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I have a group of friends I play with as well. I got this on day 1 and it has been amazing thus far. I usually don't get games on day 1, but I knew I'd love this game since I played the hell out of MH Tri. My favorite weapon is the insect staff. I don't really like crossbows as much as I did in Tri, but I do like insect staff/sword and shield.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I haven't tried out the insect staff yet, I'm waiting for a good moment to get into it. My mains were long sword and switch axe in 3U, but I'm trying out the great sword now and it's pretty fun too, I'm also liking how the charge blade works. I'm thinking bows might work a little better now that I have a C-stick, but we'll see. I think the lance is the one weapon I'm not too into, not enough flow to the combos.

I've been trying to play the game but I've had too much studying to do, just managed to complete my first Urgent Quest. Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have some more time.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've started getting into great sword recently. It's helped me with some monsters that I had trouble with otherwise. The ability to block is very nice, and it doesn't feel cheesy like the lance does.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I've started getting into great sword recently. It's helped me with some monsters that I had trouble with otherwise. The ability to block is very nice, and it doesn't feel cheesy like the lance does.
The lance feels too much like picking the right spot to poke, while the Great Sword has a lot more fluidity to it, despite being pretty slow. I've actually gotten so used to dodging that I barely use the shield on Great Sword or the Charge Blade :lol: I need to find the right moments where shielding is appropriate.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

I picked this one up. I've only been able to play a couple hours so far, just unlocked the first Urgent Quest in single player.

I've been playing mostly with the gunlance. It was one of my favorites in MH3U and still really fun in this one so far. I used to play hammer / GS, and having better block ability is really nice although I miss the mobility of hammer. Pulling off a full-blast or wyvern fire and breaking off an enemy part is really satisfying, and I figure in multiplayer I can at least be a distraction while I wait for my buddies to disperse long enough for me to blast monsters.

Still playing on a regular 3DSXL, and I'm curious how much better it runs on the N3DS. Load times seem shorter than MH3U and it doesn't seem too laggy in single-player.

Might jump online for a bit with random people this weekend. I'm lagging too far behind most people to join in an existing group, and the only one I know who might pick up the game hasn't done so yet.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Niahak wrote:I picked this one up. I've only been able to play a couple hours so far, just unlocked the first Urgent Quest in single player.

I've been playing mostly with the gunlance. It was one of my favorites in MH3U and still really fun in this one so far. I used to play hammer / GS, and having better block ability is really nice although I miss the mobility of hammer. Pulling off a full-blast or wyvern fire and breaking off an enemy part is really satisfying, and I figure in multiplayer I can at least be a distraction while I wait for my buddies to disperse long enough for me to blast monsters.

Still playing on a regular 3DSXL, and I'm curious how much better it runs on the N3DS. Load times seem shorter than MH3U and it doesn't seem too laggy in single-player.

Might jump online for a bit with random people this weekend. I'm lagging too far behind most people to join in an existing group, and the only one I know who might pick up the game hasn't done so yet.
Despite not being into the lance too much, I'm actually pretty interested in the gunlance. I'll have to give it a shot.

It sounds like the game plays great on normal 3DS systems, and just a little better on New 3DS systems. Again when I play multiplayer I notice I get to the next area just a tad faster than my friend does. I hear the textures on the new 3ds are better as well but I haven't looked at the game on the old hardware in motion enough to tell.

I just got the second town today, pretty neat. Also the Charge Blade really clicked with me today, that thing is nuts when you get the full charge out of it.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I always used the lance when I played on the Wii version. I liked the precision. I haven't even taken a look at this latest entry in the series, though.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I played lance in tri as an alternative to crossbow. At first I liked it, but after awhile I started to feel that it was kind of boring.

I started trying out hunting horn again, but I think I like GS the best at the moment.

Edit-I just completed a naja set.