Shantae game opinions?

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Shantae game opinions?

Post by pdSlooper »

So I've been playing Shantae on the 3DS's Virtual Console, and so far I'm really unimpressed. Infinitely spawning enemies and enemies popping up directly underneath you do not a fun experience make. I'm wondering if the more recently created Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse are similarly disappointing, or if they're better games? Any opinions?
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Shantae game opinions?

Post by Jelly »

I was actually quite disappointed when trying the same game on 3DS VC.. I don't really remember what I didn't like about it, other than the character sprite being bigger than what I normally prefer for a platformer.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

It gets better as it goes, but I'm not gonna lie, a lot of my enjoyment of the game came from just the sheer fact that it was a Game Boy Color platformer that didn't suck balls. It still has problems, including ones on top of what you mentioned (like most of the shop items aren't really that necessary or even useful). I loved the last third of the game, though, once you have all your powers and get to explore a lot more of the game.

The DSiWare feels like a demo in retrospect, so really, the 3DS/Wii U game is the only great entry in the series, and that just came out. :/
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Feels like a demo in that it's too short, or because it feels like it has features locked?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

pdSlooper wrote:So I've been playing Shantae on the 3DS's Virtual Console, and so far I'm really unimpressed. Infinitely spawning enemies and enemies popping up directly underneath you do not a fun experience make. I'm wondering if the more recently created Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse are similarly disappointing, or if they're better games? Any opinions?

When I was much younger, I really loved the original Shantae. I replayed it recently, though, and didn't find it nearly as fun. It does have some problems.

However, Pirate's Curse is fantastic. I would totally recommend that one. It's my favorite game on 3DS.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

pdSlooper wrote:Feels like a demo in that it's too short, or because it feels like it has features locked?

Too short. The story ends on a cliffhanger, so combined with the 4-hour length made it feel like a prologue to Pirate's Curse.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I haven't finished Shantae VC version, for the reasons you mentioned. I enjoyed the DSiWare one and thought the recent one was great. It still has ever spawning enemies, but you have more abilities to take them out easily. There aren't a lot of pop out of nowhere enemies either, they're mostly stationary.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Starmancer wrote:Too short. The story ends on a cliffhanger, so combined with the 4-hour length made it feel like a prologue to Pirate's Curse.
I don't mind short games. I enjoyed Ikachan (45 minutes) and both Mighty Switch Force games (2-3 hours each). Ending on a cliffhanger is a pet peeve, though knowing ahead of time makes it suck less...
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:
Starmancer wrote:Too short. The story ends on a cliffhanger, so combined with the 4-hour length made it feel like a prologue to Pirate's Curse.
I don't mind short games. I enjoyed Ikachan (45 minutes) and both Mighty Switch Force games (2-3 hours each). Ending on a cliffhanger is a pet peeve, though knowing ahead of time makes it suck less...
It's it cliffhanger yes, but a cliffhanger in a game that's argueably not about the story :p Plus, unlike before the 3rd game is immediately available.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I've managed to make it about halfway through the original Shantae, with the occasional help of a walkthrough/youtube vids. I like the dungeons and the transformations, they're fun. Dungeon enemies don't respawn, and don't pop out of nowhere, and dungeons include puzzle elements. Trudging through the overworld is still a drag, and there's too much of it between dungeons.