Best/favorite eShop titles?

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Best/favorite eShop titles?

Post by The Shoemaker »

Does anyone play Pokemon Shuffle? I know Sloop and Squishy gave it a try, but I'm not sure if anyone has played it extensively.

I find it to be a good time waster, and I really like the Pokemon twist on the match 3 genre. It's fun trying to catch all the different pokemon and setting up a team. I imagine I would like the Puzzle and Dragon series quite well.

I actually don't mind the microtransaction limitations. I haven't spent any money in the game, but I've managed to make it to stage 130 so far, and I don't think I'll need to pay for anything anytime soon. The time limit works with my schedule, you get a heart (token to play) every half an hour and it ends up being something I can play between studying or when I'm on the bus. They gave the game a big update a couple months ago that made it easier to play without spending money and added lots of new stages (100 or so I think, still adding more).

It's also available on mobile devices now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

No love for Shovel Knight?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote:No love for Shovel Knight?
So much love for Shovel Knight, it has its own thread in miscellaneous gaming!

I have been playing the Plague Knight DLC lately, it's pretty rad. Much more difficult to control than Shovel Knight, but lots of really interesting combinations you can make.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

I think it's a tad easier, in my opinion. Plague Knight feels floatier, and that helps a lot. Finished Propeller Knight's stage tonight, and I remember struggling a lot as Shovel Knight. Plague breezed through it in comparison.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

As I said, I played Shuffle till I hit the paywall -- so, around level 160 or so, I don't recall exactly. It was fun to play a couple minutes a day, but ultimately it was a time-waster, like Solitaire. (It's hit iOS recently, I hear that version of the game is balanced differently, much more unfairly.)

I've picked up Mighty Flip Champs and am enjoying it, and the Shantae games as well. Lots of love for Shovel Knight, though I haven't yet tried the DLC.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:As I said, I played Shuffle till I hit the paywall -- so, around level 160 or so, I don't recall exactly. It was fun to play a couple minutes a day, but ultimately it was a time-waster, like Solitaire. (It's hit iOS recently, I hear that version of the game is balanced differently, much more unfairly.)

I've picked up Mighty Flip Champs and am enjoying it, and the Shantae games as well. Lots of love for Shovel Knight, though I haven't yet tried the DLC.
Oh okay, I wasn't sure if you just play for a little bit then stopped. You've actually played more than me!

Which Shantae are you playing, or played most recently? I know you said you were having difficulties getting into the original.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I played all three in order, so the last one I played was Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for 3DS. The original isn't really a great game, could have been with a bit of work to balance enemies and to make it more obvious where you needed to go when (the world layout in general was just confusing). The sequels, though, are great. A bit on the short side for their price, I guess, given I've no interest to replay them. Maybe in a couple years. Shame the only extra content was some wallpapers, it would have been nice to have a bestiary/item encyclopedia.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:I played all three in order, so the last one I played was Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for 3DS. The original isn't really a great game, could have been with a bit of work to balance enemies and to make it more obvious where you needed to go when (the world layout in general was just confusing). The sequels, though, are great. A bit on the short side for their price, I guess, given I've no interest to replay them. Maybe in a couple years. Shame the only extra content was some wallpapers, it would have been nice to have a bestiary/item encyclopedia.
Yeah I haven't beaten the first game either, it's a little rough. Risky's Revenge was my first in the series, and I liked it. Pirate's Curse is a little pricey, but it's a real quality game. I liked replaying it on new game+ because you start with all your items, so it sort of becomes a speed run. You can quickly jump through the overworlds with your speed dash or the cannon ball thing, and find the quickest way through the dungeons because you already have the necessary item. Did you manage to find all the cursed magic enemy guys? If you don't it's kind of a disappointing final boss, but if you do, it's a real satisfying one.

I funded Shantae and the Half Genie Hero on Kickstarter. It will be more in the vein of Risky's Revenge with transformations and the like, plus HD!
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I kinda associated Shantae with "handheld", plus I don't console game much anymore (and hate playing platformers on PC), so I'm not sure how I feel about Half-Genie Hero. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:I kinda associated Shantae with "handheld", plus I don't console game much anymore (and hate playing platformers on PC), so I'm not sure how I feel about Half-Genie Hero. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I feel that way about pretty much every 2D game. I would much rather play it on a handheld. Biggest barrier to me playing a lot of my indie titles on Wii U is that they're tied to the TV.