Your greatest gaming accomplishments?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Your greatest gaming accomplishments?

Post by Kong Wen »

What are your greatest gaming accomplishments? Your proudest moments? Your most difficult conquests? These don't have to be difficult challenges you've completed or games you've beaten, but anything you've accomplished in games that you're proud of.

I was thinking about this on the drive home from work. I've done some things in games that have stuck with me. Definitive moments in my gaming career!

One of my favourite examples is the time a friend of mine challenged me to beat Final Fantasy Tactics under a set of restrictions he imposed. I had been talking about all the time I had been sinking into the game and he wanted to mix things up. My entire team had to be the same class for each fight, and after each fight I had to change classes. I forget what the other restrictions were, but this one made things interesting, especially in the early game. I was stuck with all Squires or all Chemists for a while. And then I had to carefully plan which classes I was going to use for some of the tougher battles and bosses, since if I needed a particular class, my whole team would have to be made up of them, and some tough battles were actually sequences, which meant I couldn't use the same class for two tough fights in a row!

What are some of your favourite gaming feats?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Your greatest gaming accomplishments?

Post by Sharecrow »

Okay, to respond to this a handful of things immediately come to mind.

Among my proudest and most awesome achievements was beating the first R-Type. I'd been working on it for close to forty hours (not consecutive, of course), and it got to where I was playing it in my mind even when I wasn't playing it for real...planning how I would overcome various parts and practicing. Winning was surreal - especially for someone who isn't that good at shooters. And it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Next, another shooter victory (these are special to me because I'm not that good at them), was beating Gradius 2: Gofer no Yabou. That has to be the most difficult shooter I've ever beaten. And the last true enemy, named Club for some strange reason, thoroughly infuriated me over and over and over. It didn't help that it is indestructible. It was so demanding of precision and caution. Once I got far enough past it that I knew I would beat the game, I once again felt an elation of victory that I don't get out of games much at all.

Next, finally beating Ninja Gaiden (NES) on my Wii felt really good. That game had beaten me for years and years despite the hours I poured into it and despite loving as much as I did. It was nice to be able to scratch it off my to-do list. Now that I've done it I am sure I could do it again without even much stress or hardship, but, still, it was a big accomplishment for me.

Finally, I think that completing the PS2 Shinobi game was also a huge accomplishment for me. That game had a reputation for being tough and it certainly is. There are even levels that have almost not floors to stand on or jump on. And your own sword will take your life if you aren't fast enough and aggressive enough. The game forces you to kill and gives you a constant pressure to fight harder and faster. I beat it in hard and then beat it in super, collecting all coins in the game. That was enough for me but it also unlocked a secret level that is even more bonkers than any part of the game. By then you are really so good at the game that it's just another level, though. Beating it on Super was certainly one of the coolest moments for me in my gaming history.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

The big one for me was being given the honorable title of PseudoViking from Adult Swim for playing Volgarr the Viking.

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/7210
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Spore wrote:The big one for me was being given the honorable title of PseudoViking from Adult Swim for playing Volgarr the Viking.

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/7210
I don't know if anyone here's going to be able to top that. That's definitely something to be proud of!

I'll talk about my next one now, since it also involves a difficult platformer—and it's almost its 3-year anniversary!

Super Meat Boy is a notoriously hard game, and completing it (106%) is one of my proudest gaming achievements, especially since I don't really consider myself much of a platformer. If I remember correctly, this took about a year, since I took a lengthy break in between to regain my fighting spirit. I remember spending hours with my brother playing the Kid's levels. We didn't know what we were getting into, and it was the night before we were supposed to drive to Moncton for a huge outdoor U2 concert. We got in too deep and didn't want to leave the game on or lose our progress, so we ended up just spending hours beating the levels and then leaving right away with no sleep.

After beating the game, I took some time off. A few months later, I went back to clean up the Dark World stages, Cotton Alley, and the Glitch Worlds, as well as getting all the bandages.

Dark Cotton Alley was pretty fun. I wish I had some replays saved.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I just nailed a global rank 0 on one of the E-tier stages in N++. I'm bloody thrilled with myself. Also my thumb hurts.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I've got a couple.

Perhaps the hardest game I've ever beaten is Ghouls 'n Ghosts for Genesis. Yes, I did both "laps." Also had a great time with the game. Platforming is a genre in which I can take a great deal of punishment and keep running at the wall until I break through. I found the "beat it twice" mechanism of this game to actually be quite rewarding. Since my innumerable deaths in my first run through the game had me running through the levels over and over until I'd mastered them, I actually died only a (relative) handful of times on my second play. Made me really feel like I'd mastered a game.

Another would be winning 1st place on all cups in F-Zero X on Master. This is a feat I've yet to replicate on GX or the SNES original, but I aspire to in both. These games are blisteringly difficult when cranked to max difficulty, so I'm proud to have done it in even just the one.

Also got every achievement in the entire Banjo-Kazooie series. Certainly not the hardest series in the world to 100%, but it represents a particularly fun time in my gaming history. I really treasure those games, and it's nice to have cleared all of them in their entirety. Technically there's a GBA entry that I haven't played yet, but I hear it's not too hot. Maybe one day.
Kong Wen wrote: Super Meat Boy is a notoriously hard game, and completing it (106%) is one of my proudest gaming achievements, especially since I don't really consider myself much of a platformer. If I remember correctly, this took about a year, since I took a lengthy break in between to regain my fighting spirit. I remember spending hours with my brother playing the Kid's levels. We didn't know what we were getting into, and it was the night before we were supposed to drive to Moncton for a huge outdoor U2 concert. We got in too deep and didn't want to leave the game on or lose our progress, so we ended up just spending hours beating the levels and then leaving right away with no sleep.
Definitely one to be proud of. Not to mention time well spent with an absolutely outstanding game.
You got BOOST power!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Beating Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

I have beaten Mike by TKO and by decision. I once made it all the way to Mike without getting hit once!
I intend to live forever, or die trying